Author Topic: How to disable NNTP scanning in Avast Premium 21.3.2459 (version 21.3.6164.66)?  (Read 996 times)

Offline john2122

As the subject says, how can I disable NNTP scanning? I can't seem to find the setting (a checkbox to en-/disable NNTP scanning), that used to be in the mail scan section, anywhere?

I have done a search on the forum (and in the Avast Help section of the application itself, as well as searches on the internet) for disabling NNTP scanning, but the only relevant post I found was one that mentions "for now go to Settings-Troubleshooting and at the end is link to open old settings". However, that option is nowhere to be found (anymore).

I really do need to disable NNTP scanning because it interferes (a LOT) with my download speeds. I am getting around 7 to 8MB (that's MEGABYTE, not megabit!) less speed with the mailscan shield enabled!

At the moment I have no other alternative than to disable the Mail Shield altogether... and that's obviously not good.

I hope someone can help me find the setting.
Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
John

Offline kitmubet

it was hidden in the geek area

menu->setting-> search bar > type in small cap geek:area

im assuming your gonna have to remove the port number to disable it

https://support.avast.com/en-ph/article/Use-Antivirus-Geek-settings/
Just an Ordinary User

Offline john2122

Excellent!

I tested the setting (NNTP ports to nothing) and I now have full download speeds with the Mail Shield enabled!
I wish I had known about this geek feature before  :-)

Thank you very much for the swift response! Highly appreciated.
John

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
<snip>
I wish I had known about this geek feature before  :-)
<snip>

I have been shouting about this undocumented hidden area from the time it was introduced.

Not to mention, it is a bloody mess and worse there are things iin there that really need to be in the mail UI interface settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security