Author Topic: Avast Driver Updater corrupted my Win 10 OS!  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Skeefiez11

Avast Driver Updater corrupted my Win 10 OS!
« on: April 23, 2021, 07:33:02 PM »
 >:( Hello,

Not very pleased with Avast at the moment.  I have 5 PAID subscriptions for Avast products (Premium Security, Premium Cleanup, SecureLine VPN, BreachGuard and Avast Driver Updater) and earlier in the week there was some sort of update to Premium Security then I had a notification that I had 4 outdated drivers by Avast Driver Updater, so logically I said ok and updated them (all 4 were from AMD).  Once that was done I was directed to reboot my PC.  Following the reboot, I could no longer log into my user account (I do have admin priv) saying my login PIN was no longer working and to either change my pin or login using my windows live password.  Setting up a new pin did not work and when trying my password it said my password was not correct!! My windows password works fine on my other laptop and my phone so not an issue there.  Even doing a system restore from multiple restore points would not work (of course).. When I tried to perform a system restore from the main boot recovery screen it for some reason kept asking for a password also and would not work :(  I then even tried to boot off my recovery CD that I created a few months ago but although the restore moved further along (meaning it did not ask for a password this time), the restore failed after 2 hours saying there was some issue with the WindowsApps directory with a destination of AppxStaging.  I tried this with 2 other restore points.  I then followed a method to (using the cd since even command line was asking for a PWD which again was not working - probably corrupted) use the cmd line to rename the WindowsApps dir but for some reason the system restore failed with the same error (not sure why since there is no WindowsApps dir present).  I ended up discussing with Microsoft and ended up performing a Custom Install of the OS (it backs up all files/folders and renames it "windows.old") and had to recreate my user account.  Been restoring / re-installing all my apps since but this time I was able to log in at least  >:(

So suffice to say, my PC was working FINE prior to doing the Avast Premium Security update as well as the driver updates so I am NOT happy as I lost 3 days of my time because of this corruption.

I think I will drop my subscription to Avast Driver Updater since I cannot trust it will not corrupt my account/PC again! How can I get a refund??
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 07:40:52 PM by Skeefiez11 »

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Avast Driver Updater corrupted my Win 10 OS!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 06:15:19 PM »
>:( Hello,

Not very pleased with Avast at the moment.  I have 5 PAID subscriptions for Avast products (Premium Security, Premium Cleanup, SecureLine VPN, BreachGuard and Avast Driver Updater) and earlier in the week there was some sort of update to Premium Security then I had a notification that I had 4 outdated drivers by Avast Driver Updater, so logically I said ok and updated them (all 4 were from AMD).  Once that was done I was directed to reboot my PC.  Following the reboot, I could no longer log into my user account (I do have admin priv) saying my login PIN was no longer working and to either change my pin or login using my windows live password.  Setting up a new pin did not work and when trying my password it said my password was not correct!! My windows password works fine on my other laptop and my phone so not an issue there.  Even doing a system restore from multiple restore points would not work (of course).. When I tried to perform a system restore from the main boot recovery screen it for some reason kept asking for a password also and would not work :(  I then even tried to boot off my recovery CD that I created a few months ago but although the restore moved further along (meaning it did not ask for a password this time), the restore failed after 2 hours saying there was some issue with the WindowsApps directory with a destination of AppxStaging.  I tried this with 2 other restore points.  I then followed a method to (using the cd since even command line was asking for a PWD which again was not working - probably corrupted) use the cmd line to rename the WindowsApps dir but for some reason the system restore failed with the same error (not sure why since there is no WindowsApps dir present).  I ended up discussing with Microsoft and ended up performing a Custom Install of the OS (it backs up all files/folders and renames it "windows.old") and had to recreate my user account.  Been restoring / re-installing all my apps since but this time I was able to log in at least  >:(

So suffice to say, my PC was working FINE prior to doing the Avast Premium Security update as well as the driver updates so I am NOT happy as I lost 3 days of my time because of this corruption.

I think I will drop my subscription to Avast Driver Updater since I cannot trust it will not corrupt my account/PC again! How can I get a refund??

Hi,

first of all let me sincerely apologize for all troubles associated with usage of our product.
Unfortunately I guess all the logs we could potentially use to investigate were lost during the process right? If not we would really appreciate them to see what might have gone wrong which caused this terrible problem with the login.
If you would decide to send them anyway, you can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Driver Updater\dulogcollector.exe and once the logs are collected they will be automatically sent to our server.
Once it is done, please let me know which email address you have used there so we can join the logs with your report here.

Otherwise you can ask for a refund here https://support.avast.com/en-us/contact/sales_refund.

Best Regards.

Offline Skeefiez11

Re: Avast Driver Updater corrupted my Win 10 OS!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:04:54 PM »
Hi,

Tried a refund but they say I was at 35 days on the 30-day money back guarantee  >:(

As far as the dulogcollector tool, after I had to re-install windows I did NOT re-install the driver updater app since I lost confidence in it :(

Thanks