Author Topic: How do I remove "checknetwork.exe" ??  (Read 2569 times)

MarkLoehndorf

How do I remove "checknetwork.exe" ??
« on: April 04, 2007, 02:51:54 AM »
I have Win XP and Avast keeps warning me about checknetwork.exe,  but I can't move, rename, delete, isolate,etc..... :P   Any ideas out there???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I remove "checknetwork.exe" ??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 03:21:29 AM »
Do you know what checknetwork.exe is, did you install it ?

What was the malware name given by avast and its location ?
e.g. (Malware name, in C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?  Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

A google search indicates, most of the hits are Chinese Simplified language, this one is in English and it would appear to be adware, http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?threatid=70474

Windows in its infinite wisdom protects files in use (even malware) or in system folders, so it is likely that avast! can't delete or move files in use. So schedule boot-time scan in avast's menu if you have XP, win2k or NT, otherwise boot into safe mode and run an avast scan. This should ensure that the file isn't in use and avast should be able to deal with it.

If you have XP or Win2k, you could enable a boot time scan. Right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, 'Schedule boot-time scan...'
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security