Author Topic: Avast! Home not starting until system is runnning?  (Read 8736 times)

hyjaxltd

Avast! Home not starting until system is runnning?
« on: April 04, 2007, 03:20:40 AM »
When I log onto my PC after powering on, the avast! icon shows that it is disabled (with the lil red circle w/line through it).  This deos not seem right to me, even though a couple of seconds later it disappears (the circle w/line) and is running.  Can someone explain.  Ran scan no virus' detected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! Home not starting until system is runnning?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:08:26 PM »
Provided the red circle goes then you are OK. This is often discussed in the forums, it can be that there is a bottleneck and the RPC service isn't loaded when avast needs that service, once loaded it should be OK.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
This can be the cause of the Red circle, but it usually remains present all the time, so may not be relevant.

What other security based software do you have that might be running on boot, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

I would check to see what is running on boot, Start button, Run, type msconfig and click OK, in the Startup tab it will list programs running on boot. Many programs when you install them automatically set themselves to run on boot when it isn't absolutely essential, media players are typical of this and you only need that when you click a media file. Ensure that only essential applications run on boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:30:09 PM »
You're protected while avast is loading... the screen icon will be updated when everything is loaded.
There is not need to be worried about 8)
Do you use any other security program (antispyware, firewall, etc.)?
The best things in life are free.

hyjaxltd

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 09:24:12 PM »
Thank you both for the quick respones.  As far as security, I am running Comodo.  I do have Spybot but the Tea Timer is not enabled....found it to be annoying.  Maybe if I joined the SD forum and got some help with it I might try it.  I also have AdAware but only the free ver. no real time monitoring.  I think I should probably post to the Comodo firewall for all Avast settings.  There seems to be alot of Avast users who enjoy Comodo as well...I am pretty satisfied!!!  Again, thank you and would appreciate any further advice you might give me (already added Comodo to the exclusion list...the right one, too!) not to go off topic.  Just want moms PC to be running as effecintly and safe as possible. AVAST ROCKS!!!
Peace Love and Chaos!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 10:34:43 PM »
Just want moms PC to be running as effecintly and safe as possible. AVAST ROCKS!!!
So, why are you excluding Comodo from scanning? There is no need for that...

hyjaxltd

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 10:44:13 PM »
I was having issues with Comodo hanging on ititialization.  found the following article in the forum: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27537.0 (think i did that right?).  But anyway thats why, havent had the comodo issue since.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:20:21 PM »
I was having issues with Comodo hanging on ititialization.  found the following article in the forum: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27537.0 (think i did that right?).  But anyway thats why, havent had the comodo issue since.
Which Comodo version are you using? There isn't any incompatibility right now as far I could test...

hyjaxltd

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 09:02:06 PM »
ver. 2.4.18.184.  Also am going to check the comodo forum to see if anyone knows the exact details that avast should be set for in comodo (i.e. advanced settings).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 11:33:23 PM »
ver. 2.4.18.184.  Also am going to check the comodo forum to see if anyone knows the exact details that avast should be set for in comodo (i.e. advanced settings).
No advanced settings are need. Except if you block anything in Comodo (a connection) from an avast component.
So delete your avast entries in Comodo Applications settings and then start an update again and allow connection.
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 12:11:16 AM »
If avast still starts slowly on your system I'd suggest trying out the new BETA - it should be starting much earlier during the boot process.
More info here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27439.0

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 12:31:05 AM »
I can confirm it is starting earlier as the Scanned total: has slightly increased over the 4.7.942 version (130+ as opposed to 100+. In the same way as the previous FastStart . reg trial.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hyjaxltd

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 12:47:14 AM »
Tech,

Could not setting rights for C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service) be anything to do with getting the red circle on my Avast! icon at startup?  I know that I am told everything is okay in above posts, but just not comfortable with some part of Avast! not being loaded (even if its just an icon).  Hope this doesnt frustrate you as a dumb question...im getting back into the scripting world (been since 95 and that was 4 the USMC.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 03:28:07 PM »
Tech, Could not setting rights for C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service) be anything to do with getting the red circle on my Avast! icon at startup?
But did the red cross stay there after the logon process finishes?
If not, there is no access rights troubles. If the red cross stays there forever, well, then could have a problem...

Just not comfortable with some part of Avast! not being loaded (even if its just an icon).
avast protects the computer at a driver level, very deeply and before Windows finishes its loading. Don't worry, unless the red cross does not disappear after the logon process finishes.

hyjaxltd

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 06:04:57 PM »
1.  The red circle on the Avast icon does go away...and in about 1-2 seconds.

But did the red cross stay there after the logon process finishes?
If not, there is no access rights troubles. If the red cross stays there forever, well, then could have a problem...

2.  I dont mean to sound paranoid, it just seems that this issue may need to be resovled.  Doesn't the red circle mean that some part of Avast! isnt running yet?  Even if the main component driver is fine and running.

avast protects the computer at a driver level, very deeply and before Windows finishes its loading. Don't worry, unless the red cross does not disappear after the logon process finishes.

The part of Avast! that puts that red circle/line over the icon must be doing it for one reason or another.  Is there anyway to get Avast! to load before I log in?  This would be an enhancement in security...being that WinXP Pro sometimes seems to be connecting to the network even before my firewall is running(true, by mere nano seconds but I have a very fast connection...fiber).  hope im not just uneducated and please forgive if I am.  I am in the forum groups to increase my knowledge, not just get a couple of questions answered 8).  I do appreciate the wok you "evangalists" do to help others stay informed and keep them safe!!! ;)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 09:53:46 PM »
This is all interesting but rather academic now I think.

I have a fairly new dual processor (2x3Ghz) system with 2G of memory, fast disks and even on this system the red circle would appear for a second or two when the avast icon appeared in the tray.

With the changes made to avast startup in the new beta the red circle no longer appears at all.