Author Topic: Comodo keeps indicating 'being initialized" in task tray-Add to Avast exclusion?  (Read 5566 times)

Will91

Hello everyone:

Can I run something by the forum?  I have recently installed Comodo Firewall and sometimes when I hover the mouse over the Comodo shield icon in the task tray, it indicates "Comodo Firewall Pro is being intialized".  This message never changes.  Other times, it indicates Comodo is fully up and running.  Regardless of the message, Comodo does appear to be protecting the pc.

I posted this question on the Comodo forum and was pointed to a thread which seemed to indicate I might need to add Comodo to the Avast exclusion list.  Does this seem logical to do?  If for some reason a virus became placed in the Comodo folder, wouldn't it be excluded then from Avast scanning??

Here are the instructions from the thread on the Comodo forum I found as well as the link to the thread...

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,2397.45.html

Re: "Comodo Firewall is being initialized . . ."
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2006, 06:06:16 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i did put it in the program settings exclusion list, and it didn't work.  maybe you can elaborate a little more where that list is in avast.

Sure though it is probably the very steps you have taken yourself.

Right click on the Avast icon in the task bar.
Select  On-Access Protection Control
On the screen that opens select Standard Shield
Then click on Customize on the next window select Advanced.
Click on ADD and  insert C:\Program Files\Comodo\*
Then click on OK and that's it done.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 05:40:36 AM by Will91 »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Regardless of the message, Comodo does appear to be protecting the pc.

Yes, you are still protected by the firewall. Everything is working regardless this message. "Comodo Firewall Pro is being intialized" is a known "problem", it is releated to the GUI, and it is a cosmetic bug, and what I understand it will be fixed in the upcomming v3 of the firewall (the beta will be released 16 april)

Some threads about the subject:

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,7055.msg51925.html#msg51925
http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,7255.msg53056.html#msg53056
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 03:04:39 PM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I posted this question on the Comodo forum and was pointed to a thread which seemed to indicate I might need to add Comodo to the Avast exclusion list.  Does this seem logical to do?
No. Comodo works perfectly with avast. Maybe the interaction of both on boot (logon) could delay a little the icons to appear, but nothing more than this.

If for some reason a virus became placed in the Comodo folder, wouldn't it be excluded then from Avast scanning??
If you add the folder to Standard Shield exclusion list, no...
The best things in life are free.

Will91

Thank you Bluesman and Tech.

Tech... are you saying Avast will still scan a virus that might become placed in a folder added to the Avast exclusion list?  That would be good news and I would conclude there should be no reason why not to try this solution.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Tech... are you saying Avast will still scan a virus that might become placed in a folder added to the Avast exclusion list?  That would be good news and I would conclude there should be no reason why not to try this solution.
I'm saying avast won't scan a folder in the exclusion list, that's the reason of an exclusion list... everything will be scanning except the folders listed there...

George McCoy

I'll confirm what someone else has already posted to this thread.  Comodo Firewall Pro has a problem indicating  "Comodo Firewall Pro is being intialized" when in fact it's already finished being initialized and is active.  I've had this problem with Comodo Firewall Pro even before I started using Avast AntiVirus.

Don't bother with configuring Avast any different.  Just wait for Comodo to come out with a patch.

By the way from my experience the "Comodo Firewall Pro is being intialized" bug seems to came and go without reason.  I sometimes get it 5 times a day and sometimes don't see it for a week.

George

Hello everyone:

Can I run something by the forum?  I have recently installed Comodo Firewall and sometimes when I hover the mouse over the Comodo shield icon in the task tray, it indicates "Comodo Firewall Pro is being intialized".  This message never changes.  Other times, it indicates Comodo is fully up and running.  Regardless of the message, Comodo does appear to be protecting the pc.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Just wait for Comodo to come out with a patch.
Can't you post in their forum?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
It's already been discussed on their forum for quite a while.  The Comodo folks agree that it's no more than a "cosmetic" glitch, involving display of the mouse-over, and they expect to have it fixed in the next version.

And it seems to be a general mouse-over problem for them.  If for whatever reason you exit the firewall (preferably offline  ;) ), often I have to mouse-over the icon to make it disappear.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

imnottimmy

Hello All..
Long time reader.. First Time responder :)

I've had the same issue,
and frankly it scared the crap outta me the first time it happend..
lol.. ended up doing 3 online scans after i scanned with avast cause
i was sure something had breached..lol.. Nope !

It happend to me again, yesterday i think it was,
and instead of freaking out i decided to tinker around a bit.. 

Although this won't prevent the "Being initialized" message from starting up,
you can quickly counter the problem by opening the display panel
and just clicking on the security level adjuster (ie, off - custom - block all)
click on Custom again and the message goes back to as it should.

... at least it did for me.
without any need to shutdown the program or entire system and restart.
Hope this helps.. if it does, *or doesn't* please post
so i know if my "counter-measure" was a fluke or not.

thanks..
ImNotTimmy!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 12:45:58 AM by imnottimmy »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Not a fluke, but it doesn't work for everyone (like it doesn't for me).  As noted above, the only "problem" is what the mouse-over displays ... if you open the interface, you'll find that everything's working and protecting normally.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent