Author Topic: Avast can't scan incoming POP3 mail error  (Read 47924 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast can't scan incoming POP3 mail error
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 12:37:36 AM »
I'm sorry to be such a pest with this problem but it is driving me mad.  After searching this forum and the Comodo forum, I still believe the
problem lies with Comodo blocking in some way but I'm just not sure.

Sorry to disappoint you but if comodo were blocking ashMaiSv.exe you wouldn't just be unable to receive email you wouldn't be able to send either. It can't be that selective unless you have somehow created a custom rule blocking ashMaiSv.exe inbound access, which I doubt.

On various forums I noted that people were getting Avast cannot protect news, cannot protect incoming mail etc. like it is some kind of bug
but no one had any solutions.
Donna

If you can give us any links as this isn't something that we are hearing of in these forums, all are basically related to remnants of or other installed AV or security applications.

The problem is usually related to registry remnants, virtual device driver, legacy keys.

Such as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_xxxxxx where xxxxxx is the legacy key That could be Norton, Symantec or even NIS, I don't know what device drivers are installed of might be left behind.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 01:46:59 AM »
David,

since avast cannot set the intercept at startup then ashmaiSv.exe will not be playing any part in receiving mail at the moment since it is the intercept that redirects the port 110 call to ashmaiSv.exe.

Donna,

can you confirm that you are, in fact, still receiving your email in OE?

If you are then it would be interesting to know just what the avast intercept blocker is doing when you are getting your mail. 

Are you at all familiar with the diagnostic programs called Hijackthis or TCPView? 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 02:11:52 AM »
David,

since avast cannot set the intercept at startup then ashmaiSv.exe will not be playing any part in receiving mail at the moment since it is the intercept that redirects the port 110 call to ashmaiSv.exe.   

That may well be the case but I can only assume that Donna can send email as she hasn't mentioned anything about not being able to nor has she corrected any of my assumptions that outbound email is working. So I have to assume that at least that part of the intercept is working. But, you know what they about assumption ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 03:09:28 AM »
David,

very true indeed.  I have never heard though of an avast message saying that it would not be able to intercept SMTP mail  ... so this may be a generic message.  Perhaps the avast team could enlighten us.

If Donna is familiar with Hijackthis or TCPView we may get some insight into what may be causing the block.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 01:57:30 PM »
Yes both of those applications could reveal the activity, HJT possibly better to show registry entries that may not be running but being detected by avast.

@ Donna
Program & Tutorial - Also useful as a diagnostic tool - Download HiJackThis.zip HJT has now been sold to Trend Micro inc. but the 1.99.1 version should still be available here or at one of the download sites.
- HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial 1 or HiJackThis Tutorial 2 or HiJackThis Tutorial 3

Ignore any 023 reference to avast processes, this is a hiccup in the HJT 1.99.1 (especially missing file entry for avast), if you need any help with any of the analysis let us know.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 01:59:48 PM »
If Comcast uses SSL, you need to use a solution like Stunnel for GMail.
Without it, it won't be possible because avast mail scanner doesn't support SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections.
Take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.
Since SSL/TLS e-mail is encrypted and decrypted in the client, external virus scanners (including avast!) can't read or scan it. The solution is to pass e-mail in and out un-encrypted from your client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, ...) to a proxy program (Stunnel) that does the actual ssl or tls encryption/decryption of the pop3/smtp e-mail and communicates directly with the ISP server on the appropriate ports. Download here: http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html

If you were using MS Outlook it would be able to do that as there is a plug-in, which effectively has the avast email scanner inside Outlook.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 02:02:36 PM »
The problem is usually related to registry remnants, virtual device driver, legacy keys.

Such as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_xxxxxx where xxxxxx is the legacy key That could be Norton, Symantec or even NIS, I don't know what device drivers are installed of might be left behind.
David, I've used to say that but Igor teach you that legacy drivers on ControlSet00X only will be used if the user choose the 'Last known good configuration' and Windows will 'clean' the legacy drivers left behind from time to time. Of course, it would be better to not have these registry keys left behind but, like I think Igor said, they won't mess the avast installation and good working. The problem will be if the key is under CurrentControlSet keys.
The best things in life are free.

dford3772

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 02:32:31 PM »
I have researched until I'm frazzled; this problem goes back to 2004 on some forums including Avast!

Avast is scanning outgoing mail and has done so from the start; it has never scanned incoming.  I disabled Outlook/Exchange when I
discovered that has nothing to do with OE which is what I use.  OE does not show the Avast icon anywhere or any evidence of
scanning in Send/Receive.  Perhaps it is in OE that the problem lies.  I'm on Comcast and I can send and receive on OE just fine but somehow I have to
fix this error as I could be getting infected mail and not know it.

I'm pretty good on a PC but I let the registry alone because I do not feel competent in that area.  I don't doubt that NIS could still be
somewhere.  I've found folks on various lists that say they have fixed this problem but they never say how.
Donna 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
Thanks Tech, I didn't look to far in the registry to get an example path, just went to the first controlset.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_xxxxxx

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 02:51:43 PM »
<snip>
Avast is scanning outgoing mail and has done so from the start; it has never scanned incoming. 
<snip>
OE does not show the Avast icon anywhere or any evidence of
scanning in Send/Receive. 

Perhaps it is in OE that the problem lies.  I'm on Comcast and I can send and receive on OE just fine but somehow I have to fix this error as I could be getting infected mail and not know it.

I'm pretty good on a PC but I let the registry alone because I do not feel competent in that area.  I don't doubt that NIS could still be somewhere.  I've found folks on various lists that say they have fixed this problem but they never say how.
Donna 
1. since you are able to send and receive emails your settings I would say are correct.

2. since outbound email is scanned and point 1 above, your firewall doesn't appear to be blocking ashMaiSv.exe or OE.

3. I assume that you have checked the 'Scan inbound mail.' You know me and assumptions, so can you confirm ?
If that is ticked and I believe it is, we are back to this message on boot and that I feel has to be in the registry somewhere.

4. There really isn't much to worry about doing a search of the registry, it is just like navigating in windows explorer the layout is basically the same, so you click the little + to expand the 'registry folder' HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then find the SYSTEM and expand using the + Now do the same with the CurrentControlSet, then the Enum and finally the Root.

Now you can scroll down and see if you can find any legacy Keys relating to Norton, Symantec, NIS, etc. don't do anything just tell us if you found anything and what you found and we can take the next step.

dford3772

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 04:12:03 PM »
Wow!  Have I found some horrors!  Not only Symantec traces but Tenebril Spycatcher and Trend Micro Antispyware.

I've made screenshots with WebCapture of the offending areas which I will label origins.  How do I insert into message to you?
Donna

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 05:04:27 PM »
If you have made images (crop the bits that are relevant to reduce size) and save them on your HDD. When you post (reply) you will notice Additional Options, click that and you will see Attach:, opposite that a Browse button, from that pop-up navigate to the location you saved the image and select it and click open. That will transfer the path into the attach window, when you post, the image will be uploaded and attached to the post.

dford3772

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 05:31:38 PM »
I also found a bunch of Legacy files such as SYMEVENT, SYMFW, SYMIDS, SYMIDSCO, SYMLCBRD,SYMDIS

Under Local Machine Software I found NRT (tool) Tenebril Spycatcher and Trend Micro

dford3772

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2007, 05:43:13 PM »
I did a duplicate by mistake but here are two more that look pretty bad.
Donna

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2007, 06:47:24 PM »
OK lets deal with the LEGACY_SYMxxxxx entries first, before doing anything, you need to be logged on as a user with administrator privileges, the next thing we are going to do is export a copy of each legacy key. We are going to back-up each key (export), change its permissions and then delete the key.

1. Right click on the first one, LEGACY_SYMDNS and select Export, choose a location (where you can find it again if required) to save it into and give it a meaningful name legacy_symdns is fine.
2. Right click it again and select Permissions, you will see the Security Tab with two Group or User Names, Everyone and System.
3. Highlight Everyone in the window below tick allow box opposite Full Control and click OK. This is needed so that you are able to delete this key later.
4. Right click it (LEGACY_SYMDNS and nothing else) again, select Delete, you will get the usual Confirmation window. This will give you a means to escape if you made any mistake, click Yes to proceed.

Now you need to do that for the remainder of the LEGACY_SYMxxxx keys.

Once you have done that reboot.