Author Topic: Avast can't scan incoming POP3 mail error  (Read 47930 times)

dford3772

Re: Avast can't scan incoming POP3 mail error
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2007, 07:26:39 PM »
All done with your wonderfully clear directions.  The files are in my documents in a Legacy folder.

After reboot, I did get a FF error saying it needed to close but that just happens sometimes.  The
Avast can't scan or protect incoming e-mail did appear.  I'm replying on IE this time.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2007, 09:30:19 PM »
I did get a FF error saying it needed to close but that just happens sometimes.
If you get any errors make a note of them, they may be of help. In that first ff needs to close pop-up there is something like a more information or details, click that and copy and paste that information.

Norton can get really embedded deep into your system and as You can see a real pig to get rid of.

OK now I would suggest doing the same with the Symantec and SymNRT folders/keys (export, permissions, delete and reboot) the sub keys will also be removed BDM, etc.

Watch out for any error messages re. avast, etc. and record, try opening firefox and see if the error is replicated.

Now I would do the same with the Tenebril folder.

Can you recall what the Trend Micro was in relation to did you have their AV installed at one point ro use their on-line scanner Housecall ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dford3772

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2007, 11:11:22 PM »
Trend Micro was antispyware by itself; the folder (key?) appears to be empty.

I note that the Tenebril Spycatcher stuff has e-mail and phishing in the breakdown of it.

I'll get these done ASAP.  Does the registry have to be defragged if a good bit is removed?  If so how?
Donna

dford3772

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »
The permissions form is different as in the attached shots.  It looks as if I have to go into ADVANCED and click on Donna as admin and
this key and all subkeys.  I'm afraid to take a chance without asking about what to check and click since the full control is grayed
on the first form.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2007, 12:26:46 AM »
If yu are logged on as Administrators (Donana\Administrators) then you should be able to delete/have full control as can be seen in the first image that has a tick in the Full Control box. In this case (image 1) you shouldn't need the Advanced settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dford3772

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2007, 01:19:49 AM »
FF just had to close again when I started typing a new message.  I may really have something wrong for I've never seen the fully updated copy that I run do this so often.

When I set up this computer I am the only user Owner_Administrator and I have not used the log in
message (I think I made it disappear) in ages.  After some reading I don't see why I need it as the
START menu says I am logged on.  However that Full Control Command is not checkable although
it does say Donna Administrator at the top.

It may be that Norton's tentacles have gone in too deep and I suppose I could cause this thing to
crash quite easily so if it's OK with you, I think I'll quit for the night other than just seeing if you reply
and put the heavy stuff off until tomorrow.   Thanks for your patience and help.  You are wonderful!   Donna

dford3772

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2007, 03:03:28 PM »
All traces of Norton, Tenebril, and Trend Micro are removed except for two folders that looked empty.
FF had to close again while I was composing this post on it.  Since most security programs do not fully
support it I can't see why my registry removals would affect it.

That's the good news.  The Avast! mail warning is still present on bootup and is inthe Task Mgr. at the
same time.  AshWebSv.exe asks to be allowed on Commodo to act as server at the same time.

I've checked the web for possible problems with FF 2.0.0.3.  No record of excessive closings.  Don't suppose I could have a virus or other invader.  So far IE has not closed though it used to have that problem occasionally.  I had no warnings while doing the registry removals.
Is it uninstall time for Avast! and re-install?  Configuration check!  What?
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2007, 04:34:28 PM »
Firefox shouldn't have any issues with security applications as it is a fairly standards compliant browser. It may not be entirely Firefox's fault, it could be using another module and that is at fault. That is why I suggested clicking the more information, etc. to see more information about the reason.

I'm still using 2.0.0.2, will be updating later today, but it may be better to download the complete latest version of firefox and save it so you can find it later, uninstall the current installation and reboot, then install the latest version. Something else you could try is to run firefox from the Safe Mode link in, Start, All Programs, Mozilla Firefox. This starts firefox without extensions, if you have no problems then it might just be a troublesome extension and that may be pointed out in the 'more information' I spoke about.

I'm probably more baffled than you as to why this can't protect email is displayed on boot, I have exhausted the major reasons this may occur.

I believe you said you have tried the avast reinstall before, what I would suggest is you download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later. Now uninstall using add remove programs, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot and install.

dford3772

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2007, 04:51:29 PM »
David,
   Thanks so much for all your help and I will try the re-install.

If I were you I'd stay right where you are on FF.  After more research, 2.0.0.3 is crashing frequently and in truth no one knows why.
On my U3 flash drive I have 1.0.5.11.  I just got through surfing on it for an hour or so--NO PROBLEMS at all.  The info I found says
it is in the version (shades of IE!).  Thankfully all I had to do was upload my bookmarks and my portable surfs beautifully until they
find a fix.

I really like Avast and want to stay with it so I will go through the rigamarole involved.  If it still won't protect the mail then I'll have to
find another program I guess.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2007, 05:01:44 PM »
Well I have just updated to firefox 2.0.0.3 so we will see ;D
That is why it is important to gather as much information when it does crash or have to be closed.

I use MailWasher Pro, primarily for anti-spam and I run mailwasher first, it checks a small part of the email X number of lines (user configurable) and it views that in text mode to make a decision on spam and  doesn't download the attachments. It has a knock on benefit that you can also see the suspicious emails and flag them for deletion, when you click Process Mail, it deletes all those flagged for deletion at 'the email server' (you don't have to even download them) and then calls your email program where you download the remainder of the emails.

There is a free version of mailwasher but that only covers one email account (address) were the pro version covers unlimited email accounts.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2007, 07:23:55 PM »
If it still won't protect the mail then I'll have to find another program I guess.
Donna, maybe you can add the following line to the [MailScanner] section of <avast>\data\avast4.ini:
Log=20
Then generate some traffic, simulate the problem (i.e. force the avast mail scanner to time out by sending an email with attachment) and then post here the contents of the file <avast>\data\log\aswMaiSv.log

Details: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12234.msg103474#msg103474
The best things in life are free.

dford3772

RESOLVED: Avast can't scan incoming POP3 mail error
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2007, 07:25:36 PM »
David,
I'm afraid to brag but I got my first incoming PROTECTED mail just now!  WaaHOOO!  I feel like I've been through a war zone but I learned so much along the way.  You have helped me through the registry's uncharted waters and I'm cautious but not afraid anymore.

Not sure what may have done the trick.  Maybe it was a glitch in the install but Norton is gone and that
is a good feeling.  I really like the Avast program and am so glad to have it working correctly.
Thanks again for all your help,
Donna in AR

If my system errs again then I've got Tech's new post for another road to travel.  Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2007, 07:52:25 PM »
If my system errs again then I've got Tech's new post for another road to travel.  Thanks!
Ok, Donna.
Welcome to avast forums and feel free to come back any time you need help.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2007, 08:12:01 PM »
You have helped me through the registry's uncharted waters and I'm cautious but not afraid anymore.

Not sure what may have done the trick.  Maybe it was a glitch in the install but Norton is gone and that is a good feeling.  I really like the Avast program and am so glad to have it working correctly.
Thanks again for all your help,
Donna in AR

Your very welcome.

The registry is something to be cautious with as it can seriously screw your system, ensuring always to export/back-up before editing or deleting.

Norton can really get its hooks into the system and getting rid of all registry occurrences I would say has certainly helped. Add to that a complete clear out of avast and reinstall helps as when avast detects Norton (usually in the registry) it can disable elements of itself to avoid conflict, which could lock-up your system.

Perhaps that was what was going on so until all remnants were gone avast would likely to have kept on disabling elements and a complete clear out of avast and reinstall should ensure all elements of avast are installed correctly.

Now at last you can sit back and enjoy avast, glad that you stuck with it and didn't give up.

dford3772

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2007, 03:37:39 PM »
Well, it breaks my heart to report this but here goes.  Avast protected my mail for a few hours and I cut off my PC at night.  On reboot this a.m. the warning is there again that it cannot protect incoming mail.  I ran Outlook Express and no incoming mail was scanned so I'm right back to where I started.
What poltergeist changed something in the system is beyond me.  I ran a THOROUGH Avast scan
yesterday with even archived files: nothing was found.

I suppose I need to download Hijack This so I can run a log . I've had even less dealings with .ini file
so I'm not sure how to follow Tech's directions to add to the mail scanner in that file.  My mail downloads so very fast from Comcast Server and there were three in line this a.m.  In Avast's On Access Internet Mail the mail that was scanned yesterday is gone and count has returned to 0 so the
functionality that I had briefly is gone.
Any ideas,
Donna