Author Topic: Avast can't scan incoming POP3 mail error  (Read 47933 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast can't scan incoming POP3 mail error
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2007, 05:16:33 PM »
You have to allow avast.setup in the comodo firewall, if an entry exists for avast.setup, delete it and do a manual update iAVS this should force comodo to ask permission, accept, directly after that try running the beta conversion exe you downloaded.

What version of comodo are you using ?
There were previously some issues with comodo (in the forums), I can't recall exactly what but there was a beta release for that which has now been a regular program update, ensure you have the latest comodo version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dford3772

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2007, 05:39:24 PM »
I have Comodo 2.4.18.184 and there are no updates available.  In looking at the apps monitor in the firewall almost every Avast app has
been duplicated at least once.  There are also a huge number of FF entries for whatever that is worth.

It is my personal belief that I should have set up Avast and got it working properly and then installed Comodo.  Their tutorials are rather
sketchy and trying to figure two complicated programs at once is a headache.  I just don't like the way CPF asks and asks and asks
no matter what I check and in spite of the fact that I ran a scan early to set up apps already in use.  I have to say that I never had
that problem with Norton Firewall; it seemed to know what to do and its settings were familiar and easier to navigate.

I'm sorry but iAVS is Greek to me.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2007, 05:53:28 PM »
I would suggest you delete all the entries for avast and firefox in comodo and then allow them as they are challenged, the duplicated could possibly cause some sort of fallout.

Fortunately I know what iAVS is, it is the old name for VPS the virus signatures, had you dome as suggested try a manual update, right click the avast icon, Updating, you would then have seen the iAVS.

It is not too late to do as you suggest, uninstall both avast and comodo and reboot then install avast, reboot and then install comodo. You will of course get lots of pop-ups asking permission until it stabilizes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 05:55:08 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2007, 10:55:39 PM »
iAVS is, it is the old name for VPS the virus signatures
Not that old: it appears on help files and some windows too...
The best things in life are free.

dford3772

Because of Firewall settings Avast could not scan mail
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »
Just thought I'd let you know what has happened.  I am now running beta version of Avast!  On reboot the error about mail scan remained but the new message says it is probably the firewall.  I uninstalled Comodo, rebooted and no message!!!!!

I think in ignorance I made some mistakes installing Comodo so I now have a tutorial and will follow it step by step.  I have WinXP
firewall on temporarily just to make sure that all is well.

I suppose I should leave beta Avast as is if all remains well and just try the re-install of Comodo and cross my fingers?  By the way,
taking out Comodo did nothing for the FF crash problem so once I get everything up and running that has to be my next project.
Oh well, It's always something.
Donna

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2007, 02:30:17 PM »
I suppose I should leave beta Avast as is if all remains well and just try the re-install of Comodo and cross my fingers? 
No need to remove neither avast beta nor Comodo.
Both work perfectly together. Why don't you just post a screenshot of the message you're seeing and let us help easier...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2007, 02:47:48 PM »
Donna, has posted the text of the error many, many, pages ago http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27569.msg224533#msg224533.
The total message is:  Avast can't scan or protect incoming POP3 mail.  10049 Error

For currently #80 replies that is what we have been trying to do help her and this is what it has got down to !

There clearly is something wrong with her comodo installation, duplicate application entries, failure to remember previous grant of permissions, etc. etc. the use of the beta was done to try and get avast in before comodo. Now without comodo, no error, go figure.

@ Donna
There is no need to uninstall the beta, leave that, reinstall comodo once you have read up on the tutorial, my fingers are crossed too, this has been a long journey. Good Luck.

dford3772

Mail Scanning Problem Solved!!!
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2007, 11:44:08 PM »
David,
   It has been a long road and I can't thank you enough for all your help.   Once the firewall was uninstalled I knew the answer had been found.  When I re-installed Comodo using Little Mac's tutorial
from their forum it was a piece of cake.  I had made some installation errors out of ignorance and lack
of familiarity with firewalls. 

I love both Avast! and Comodo.  They are wonderful pieces of software!  I filed for my Norton refund today and I am a full convert to both of my new programs.  When done right they both perform right
out of the box.

I think you can safely consider my case closed and thanks again.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2007, 11:58:08 PM »
Congratulations in sticking with it and succeeding, job done ;D

Good luck with the Norton refund.

Now everything is working I think you should be able to see your system is quicker.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2007, 06:07:45 AM »
Donna,

I too think that you have shown magnificent perseverance and a great aptitude for excellent diagnostic thinking - you and David made a great partnership in tracking down and overcoming this problem.  One for us all to remember when the going gets difficult.