Author Topic: Avast Scheduled Boot-Scan not working  (Read 9442 times)

kevinarbogast

Avast Scheduled Boot-Scan not working
« on: April 06, 2007, 12:25:18 PM »
It seems as though for the past 4-5 times I have tried to schedule a boot-scan and everything goes as planned.  Only thing is, when it comes up to the screen where it's scanning the files, it says it cannot scan and just continues without scanning.

I used to be able to use this feature, and would love to continue to.  So, if you have any ideas, help is appriciated.

As of now, I'm going to try to re-download and re-install the software to see if that will help.

Thanks for the help!
--
Kevin A.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Scheduled Boot-Scan not working
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 02:17:49 PM »
It says it cannot scan and just continues without scanning.
Isn't there any other error message?
The report file is created automatically in <avast4>\Data\Report\aswBoot.txt
Is there any other info?
Are you using Windows XP?
The best things in life are free.

kevinarbogast

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 09:09:23 PM »
04/06/2007 15:01

Keyboard Error
Number of searched folders: 0
Number of tested files: 0
Number of infected files: 0

And yes, I'm running Windows XP: Home SP2

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:21:56 PM »
Do you have a usb keyboard?

kevinarbogast

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 03:19:12 PM »
Umm...oddly, yes.  That would effect it eh  ???

I should think there would be a way to fix this...any idea?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:00:15 PM »
The usb drivers are loaded with windows. Since the boot scan runs before windows loads, the drivers aren't available, hence the keyboard error.

If your bios supprots usb, you may be able to turn the drivers on from there. However you might still need a ps2 keyboard to navigate or even enter the bios.

Your best bet would be to plug in a ps2 keyboard and go from there.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 08:41:02 PM »
Umm...oddly, yes.  That would effect it eh  ???

I should think there would be a way to fix this...any idea?

My thoughts are that it shouldn't effect the scan, just potentially stop you interacting with the scan if an infected file is found. If USB devices aren't enabled in the BIOS then when asked enter 1. delete to, 2. to Delete all, etc. the keyboard input wouldn't be recognised.

The scan may stall at that point because of no input or opt for a default value, perhaps move to the chest and continue. I haven't had to do many boot-time scans and none that found an infected file to test these options.

Note: This is an old bot scan image as the new boot-time scan can also send files to the avast chest, by far the best option.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 08:42:58 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 07:09:55 AM »
It would appear this has happened before, mind you it's a very old post

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=874.0

kevinarbogast

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:46:13 PM »
So, if I turn on the USB Keyboard thing is the BIOS it should work?  Because, as far as I know, my keyboard works fine to configure the USB settings.  It's installed and all, because...well, because I'm using it now.

I don't see how that would effect anything if it asked for a selected option.  I went into the advanced options and set it so that all the viruses are deleted without confirmation.

I'll go into the BIOS and try changing some stuff, hopefully won't ruin anything.  I'll let you know how it turns out...

Thanks for the help guys

EDIT: I went into my BIOS settings, and yes, my keyboard worked fine for it.  However, the USB Boot settings and everything were turned on.  So, everything works fine with my USB Keyboard.  At least, everything but Avast...so, any other ideas.

In my opinion, this sounds like it could be a stupid, yet simple to fix, bug.  Why would the Avast team not have noticed this and fixed it?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:58:43 PM by kevinarbogast »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 12:11:28 AM »
I don't know, if you can see the boot-time scan screen (see my previous image) ?

Then can you schedule it again and when it starts, click the Esc (escape) key, if that aborts the scan then your keyboard is being recognised and it could to be something else, what I'm unsure.

It won't hurt to try to interrupt the boot to try and enter the BIOS settings, but if your USB keyboard isn't set-up you may not even be able to do that. It is a chicken and egg situation, if your keyboard isn't recognised prior to windows boot then you can't get in to adjust the settings.

How old is your system and did the USB keyboard come with it ?

As has been said if you can borrow a ps2 keyboard that will certainly work if the same problem occurs then it isn't keyboard or BIOS related.

You say you were going to try a reinstall but didn't report the result, I assume because you are still chasing it didn't work ?

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.

Now uninstall, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot, install, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 02:53:27 AM »
So, if I turn on the USB Keyboard thing is the BIOS it should work?  Because, as far as I know, my keyboard works fine to configure the USB settings.  It's installed and all, because...well, because I'm using it now.
Well... Windows drivers are loaded so you can use your keyboard.
At boot time, you need to configure the keyboard through BIOS.
avast at boot time is loaded before Windows...

EDIT: I went into my BIOS settings, and yes, my keyboard worked fine for it.  However, the USB Boot settings and everything were turned on.  So, everything works fine with my USB Keyboard.  At least, everything but Avast...so, any other ideas.
Do you mean your keyboard works while loading the BIOS and changing its settings?
Another idea? Change the keyboard while using avast at boot time (which shouldn't be that frequent...).

Why would the Avast team not have noticed this and fixed it?
Well, other users with USB keyboard do not have problems...
Besides, avast at boot time is an exclusive feature of avast. You don't *need* it... you need an antivirus protection and you can run an on-demand scanning while you're logged with Windows...

kevinarbogast

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 09:35:57 PM »
I can see the boot screen, I can't bypass it by pressing the ESC key.

I just bought this computer in like August-October 2006, somewhere around there.  The keyboard didn't come with the computer (even though a keyboard was optional in the first place).  I did already try re-installing avast, and it didn't change anything.

Yes, my keyboard works while changing the BIOS and settings.

Although I don't *need* boot-time scan, it comes in handy for those pesky .dll viruses that can't be deleted.

I will try switching keyboards in a bit, I have a lot to do at the moment; and I will report the result to you...

Once again, thanks for the help!
--
Kevin A.

EDIT: Switching to a PS2 Keyboard worked just fine.  However, I still can't see why this USB Keyboard wouldn't work.  I should hope this isn't a bug, as it seems it would be a simple one to fix.

So, is there anything I can do to use my USB Keyboard instead of the PS2 one?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:08:37 PM by kevinarbogast »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
Yes, my keyboard works while changing the BIOS and settings.
So, it should work with avast...

EDIT: Switching to a PS2 Keyboard worked just fine.  However, I still can't see why this USB Keyboard wouldn't work.  I should hope this isn't a bug, as it seems it would be a simple one to fix.
It should work as you've posted before. avast just need a working keyboard, USB or PS2... if you say that the USB support is turned on... I see no reason for avast does not work at boot time...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 11:24:37 PM »
I can see the boot screen, I can't bypass it by pressing the ESC key.
<snip>
Switching to a PS2 Keyboard worked just fine.  However, I still can't see why this USB Keyboard wouldn't work.  I should hope this isn't a bug, as it seems it would be a simple one to fix.

You may be able to get hold of a USB to PS2 connector, once you have scheduled a boot-time scan connect that to your keyboard before you boot, this would ba marginly better than hooking up another keyboard.

What is your Motherboard and BIOS maker ?

It might be worth looking at this topic, same issue and see if there are any common factors, keyboard, motherboard, etc. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27657.0.

kevinarbogast

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 02:29:40 AM »
Tech, I agree with you, and have no explanation myself.

DavidR, I have read that article, and there are many similarities; however, it looks as though a software solution was never found and the guy had to buy a USB to PS2 Connector.  Although I know I could do that, wouldn't it be nice if we could find a solution for this so that in the future, maybe we can find an alternative solution much rather than purchasing something?

Maybe this could provide you with some information on my computer.

As for my keyboard, it's a Saitek - Eclipse II keyboard.  Nothing too special.

I agree, that the simple solution would be to purchase a USB to PS2 Connector.  However, I can't see this being a requirement to run a simple piece of software.

So, any other suggestions?