Author Topic: Avast Scheduled Boot-Scan not working  (Read 9492 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Scheduled Boot-Scan not working
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 02:17:45 PM »
Sorry I have no other suggestions, my experience of this is limited, I'm just an avast user like yourself and this is essentially a hardware issue (how to get your keyboard recognised before its drivers are loaded) not easily resolved by software that isn't run until windows boots.

This is as we have said is usually achieved by changing the BIOS settings to enable USB Devices on boot and not just when the OS is loaded. The problem is if the KB isn't recognised at this early stage you won't be able to change the BIOS settings, if you can change the BOIS settings then why can't the KB be recognised, it is a really frustrating problem. One that seems to defy logic but fortunately isn't widespread or we would see more occurrences of it in the forums, so to have two in the space of a week is very unusual.

I'm currently sat at my system with two mice attached, a usb wireless optical mouse and a ps2 mouse (my back-up) used for the odd occasion I need to use one program outside of windows where my usb mouse doesn't work, yet in other applications and in the BIOS my usb mouse works. I tried for a long time to resolve this without success so my back-up ps2 mouse sits waiting for action (as you have to have plugged in the ps2 connector before boot) and no conflict with the other mouse.

I don't know if avast could somehow change the boot-time initiation to first load a keyboard driver or if that is possible, but which driver to load, how would it know, not to mention for those that don't experience this problem what would the consequence of loading another KB driver. It certainly needs someone with a good deal more technical experience than I have got on how hardware is recognised at boot.

All I know is this isn't likely to happen in the short term so the converter if it works is a reasonably cheap work around. Personally I would go for a cheap spare PS2 KB that you know works than a converter that may work, as I have said I have had some unsuccessful attempts at this kind of work around with a converter. I have even dumped my previous usb wireless media KB with all the bells and whistles (that I rarely if ever used) and occasional quirkiness of a wireless device and gone back to a PS2 KB.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 03:22:03 PM »
I'm getting to old for this :o to keep up :-\
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 11:10:52 AM »
Just a thought re keyboards.
There should be no problem having both PS2 and USB keyboards "'permanently" attached. I have done this before with a dual-boot 95/XP machine. In XP you could use either but in 95 the USB one was ignored.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

kevinarbogast

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 12:04:47 AM »
True, I could do that...but where's the convenience in that ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 12:44:58 AM »
It is about finding a work around and trying to switch keyboards or hooking up via a usb/ps2 converter which isn't convenient either.

If you schedule a boot-time scan you would have to connect the converter before you boot, the problem is when you plug in a ps2 keyboard (even via the usb/ps2 converter) it won't respond as it wont be recognised until you boot.

Unlike USB devices, PS2 devices aren't hot swappable and there is the rub, once you plug it in via the converter how do your either schedule a boot-time scan (if you haven't already done so) or close down your system when your keyboard isn't responding if you are using the converter option.

So having the PS2 keyboard already plugged in and out of the way behind or under the monitor, etc. means it is ready should you need it. Convenient it most certainly is not but nothing about having to swap keyboard or use a converter is going to be.

I have no idea why this is happening to you, bios, motherboard combination, etc. but for the very great majority when the bios is set-up the enable usb devices on boot they do work in the boot-time scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kevinarbogast

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 01:11:26 AM »
Ever so true.  In my opinion, a fix for this particular "bug" or "exploit" should be found.  Although, not just for me, for everybody else that may have the problem.

With the vast knowledge programmers have with computers today, I just can't see it to be all that hard for the Avast! Team to come up with a way to fix this.  I do not doubt their ability, nor question it.  I simply ask, why don't/can't they fix this?

Is this perhaps an issue that cannot be fixed due to a bug in Microsoft's Software (Windows XP)?  Once again, if so, I just can't see why they wouldn't have fixed it by now.

You say it may be my motherboard or another multitude of things; however, my computer (and keyboard) are fairly new.  Therefor, I should think that it would have all of the bugs worked out and should work with no problem.

However, I shall wait in high hopes that maybe the Avast! Team will read this, and can maybe find a way to fix this problem.  Until then, I guess I will try looking into the BIOS a bit more; otherwise, I'll just have to live with the in-convenience of having to use a PS2 Keyboard along with my USB Keyboard.

Possibly, if anything, I can contact the manufacture of my keyboard, and see if they have heard of any cases similar to this, and whether they have a fix or not (although, most the time, the manufacture doesn't).

I thank you all for your help, and extensive writing.  It seems as though this case is solved with the following status:

Not fixed, alternative found.  Possible fix for future versions.

Once again, thank you all for all of your help, and you DavidR for at least giving me an alternative.
--
Kevin A.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 02:08:01 AM »
Your welcome, unfortunately we are only avast users like yourself and that is all we can offer. I've seen your plea in the Wishlist topic, fingers crossed.

kevinarbogast

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 03:27:25 AM »
Yay, I have been noticed  ;D

And yes, my fingers are crossed as well ;)