Author Topic: Everyone uses Linux  (Read 3870 times)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Everyone uses Linux
« on: April 06, 2007, 04:28:15 PM »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:30:08 PM by OrangeCrate »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Everyone uses Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 05:20:47 PM »
Interesting, but incorrect.

Everyone isn't using Linux, they might use equipment that connects to something that runs under Unix/Linux but they aren't physically/actively using it first hand, they are to all intents and purposes ignorant of its existence or interaction with themselves.

I use internet banking and my bank probably uses a unix/linux server as I don't really have a say in what back-end they use I'm not actively using it but their service which uses it. Tomorrow that could change, but I would still be using their service running what they saw fit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Everyone uses Linux
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 05:38:24 PM »
Interesting, but incorrect.

Everyone isn't using Linux, they might use equipment that connects to something that runs under Unix/Linux but they aren't physically/actively using it first hand, they are to all intents and purposes ignorant of its existence or interaction with themselves.

I use internet banking and my bank probably uses a unix/linux server as I don't really have a say in what back-end they use I'm not actively using it but their service which uses it. Tomorrow that could change, but I would still be using their service running what they saw fit.

I get your point, but if you completed a transaction online using your bank's services, you actually did use Linux, whether you intended to or not. I think that was the meaning behind his title "Everyone uses Linux", not that everyone is using a Linux distro.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 05:40:12 PM by OrangeCrate »