Author Topic: Will "the Coop"be the demise of the Flock browser!  (Read 3241 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Will "the Coop"be the demise of the Flock browser!
« on: April 08, 2007, 01:56:08 AM »
Hi forum members:

Mozilla is experimenting with Web 2.0 features, like the Flock browser has, read here: http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/04/keep-track-of-your-friends-with-the-coop
One of the developers of Flock works on this experiment.
Will this be a reason the Flock browser will not be further developed?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Will "the Coop"be the demise of the Flock browser!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 03:03:44 AM »
Enter “The Coop”, a Mozilla Labs project to experiment with adding social tools to the web browser. We want to create a fun and easy way to share links with your friends, and to browse the set of links that friends have shared with you. We also want to make it easy to “subscribe” to a friend in order to make it easy to keep track of the pictures, movies, blog posts and status information that they might be posting on a variety of services.

I'm somewhat concerned with what the surrounding security will be as these social networks have been a breeding ground for malware, msn messenger, myspace, youtube, etc. etc. The last thing I want is an easy method to reach these social networks with the usual phishing and malicious links, etc.

So this for the time being is one fox that will be staying out of the coop untill I know the underlying security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 03:27:28 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Well I have been using the Flock browser from the days it became available for download with the Web 2.0 features included. Played around with it, joined their security list. I introduced GetElementsbyClassName.js in the components folder, posted the code at Mozilla's  (you will find it inside the regular  FF 2.0.3 now). Incorporated some new security in the anti-phishing line, that will come in with FF 3.0 already there. Went through all that was available on "The Burning Edge" and took some patches that were appealing to me security wise. My personal PocketFlock version 0.7.12 now weighs 107 MB and 127 MB on the 1 GB USB stick.
I think mine is as secure as the latest FF build through security enhancing extensions, like NoScript, McAfeeSiteAdvisor, TrustWatch Search Extension, Scandoo, JS view, Cookie Editor, ABP Plus with the G-Updater, ABP Element, AdBlock Learner, Hiding Helper, Stealther, ShowIP, Netcraft toolbar, Clear Private Data, FEBE, TrackMeNot, HttProxy, DrWeb's hyperlink av-checker. Did not have any problems.
I use this browser from a normal user account with SafeXP installed, Avast Webshield inside. So why the cold water fear. I know why I should not have Alexa there, why I do not use Start Stumbling, but if I checked the links I am not afraid of YouTube (now Google) or watch it in Democracy Player (also Mozilla).

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 03:40:33 PM »
I personally don't fear it, just that these social networks are a breeding ground for those less wary than you or I.
In light of that, those building in a social networking element must ensure its security when there are so many exploits of existing social networking.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Fully agree with you there. Then people must be made aware of some hard realities. Using a computer by default and as it comes out of the box is very insecure and actually a stupid thing to do, but generally nobody tells the larger public officially. People should use protection in various ways. The user should be educated to implement proper protection. Because the majority do not even bother we have all the malware we're faced up against, the millions of bot herded machines endangering others, the clogged Internet. Well some other parties also play a role here not really helping towards improving the present situation. How many use DropMyRights? How many regularly patch? How many are aware of the dangers of malicious javascript, Ajax vulnerabilities, cross-site-scripting holes, phishing, e-mail threats, chat-box and P2P malware? Sometimes I feel the security aware are like those prophets calling out in the desert. Nobody hears them or want to lend a willing ear. At least I have learned the hard way. Now my computing practices are safe!

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 04:18:58 PM »
Your image is a relevant point here, people generally don't get religion until they have an experience that reminds them of their mortality. The same is true of until people get seriously infected and it effectively stops them using their computer, then and only then do they get the message, written in stone or otherwise.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 12:23:34 AM »
lol now all Your friends know what p0rn sites You visit today  ;D ;D
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive