Author Topic: Windows Lockups  (Read 7879 times)

Stridey

Windows Lockups
« on: April 08, 2007, 02:35:52 PM »
Hi there,

I've got Avast 4.7. Recently, after what I suspect are the latest batch of windows updates Ashserv.exe (Avast - obviously) is hitting high CPU usage.

This is causing a temporary PC lockup for about 1-4 seconds and as you might imagine it's very frustrating.
Normally I would uninstall the problem program but Avast is far and away the best AV available.

Has any of the Avast peoples encountered this problem?

I've included the DXDiag info here: http://geordiekid.googlepages.com/DxDiag.txt

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Lockups
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 03:02:34 PM »
On my system I wouldn't notice a 1-4 second lock-up but it can be that avast is waiting for an essential service to load, commonly something is locking/hanging the RPC service.

During this time do you see a red circle with a bar (like a no entry sign) over the avast icon in the system tray ?

If so the current beta version of avast has a fast start (or faster) function that might help see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27439.0 if you aren't averse to using a beta trial. Read the topic and see what snags or issues there are (they are very few) and might they effect your system.

Or you could simply revert to the Uninstall, reboot and install, this has on occasion cleared the high CPU issue. It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Stridey

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 03:06:23 PM »
On my system I wouldn't notice a 1-4 second lock-up but it can be that avast is waiting for an essential service to load, commonly something is locking/hanging the RPC service.

During this time do you see a red circle with a bar (like a no entry sign) over the avast icon in the system tray ?

No sir

If so the current beta version of avast has a fast start (or faster) function that might help see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27439.0 if you aren't averse to using a beta trial. Read the topic and see what snags or issues there are (they are very few) and might they effect your system.

Or you could simply revert to the Uninstall, reboot and install, this has on occasion cleared the high CPU issue. It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

That's sound advice. I'll start there and reply with results, thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 03:13:31 PM »
To create the dump, download and run http://public.avast.com/~vlk/hangrep.exe . In the list of processes select ashserv.exe and use the Save button. This generates a file which you can either send to his email address vlk (at) avast.com (if it's smaller than e.g. 1 MB, ZIPed), or upload to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
But you have to be quick (during that 1-4 seconds).

The command-line version http://public.avast.com/~vlk/userdump.exe . The syntax is
userdump.exe ashServ.exe c:\ashServ.dmp
(producing dump file in the root of C:\ drive) but, again, you have to be quick (during that 1-4 seconds).

Also, check the folder <avast>\data\log
Are there any files called unpXXXX there  (where XXXX is a random number)?
If so, send them to vlk (at) avast.com
They may contain more information about the problem (maybe a link to this thread).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 03:18:11 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

No need for airs and graces here, I'm just an avast user like yourself, so we can dispense with the sir ;D unless you know something I don't, I'm just about to be Knighted ;D

David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Stridey

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 03:32:21 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

No need for airs and graces here, I'm just an avast user like yourself, so we can dispense with the sir ;D unless you know something I don't, I'm just about to be Knighted ;D

David

Being polite costs nothing. It's something an awful lot of people (who like to endanger their life) seem so foolish to forget when anywhere near me.

I'm about to reboot and reinstall the latest version of Avast. The beta didn't work. I will keep you informed.

Thanks

Stridey

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 03:52:43 PM »
Yeah, it's still doing it

/grumble

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 04:02:59 PM »

/grumble
Can you try the dump?

Stridey

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 04:09:17 PM »

/grumble
Can you try the dump?

Yeah, I did, I e-mailed as instructed.

Here is an alternative link: http://geordiekid.googlepages.com/ashServ.exe.zip

Stridey

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 07:10:42 PM »

/grumble
Can you try the dump?

Yeah, I did, I e-mailed as instructed.

Here is an alternative link: http://geordiekid.googlepages.com/ashServ.exe.zip

OK, I've Avast uninstalled at the moment. Anyone got any ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 10:26:36 PM »
Today is Sunday... maybe you need to give Vlk some time to get your dump and analyze it...

Stridey

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 10:31:29 PM »
Today is Sunday... maybe you need to give Vlk some time to get your dump and analyze it...

I'd no idea. Ok, I'll wait, thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 02:54:05 AM »
I've sent a warning to them... but, again, today is Easter Sunday... 8)

Stridey

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »
I've sent a warning to them... but, again, today is Easter Sunday... 8)

Tech, that's cool fella, thanks

For the moment I've uninstalled Avast while I'm awaiting a reply. I'll do a full system scan when I find the solution and reinstall.

Thanks again.

Stridey

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
I just got impatient and reinstalled Avast.

Seems to be working

/looks bewildered

Cheers for your help and I'll be back if the problem returns

Cheers