Author Topic: Ad-Aware scan...Avast alerts me  (Read 2779 times)

galloway_777

Ad-Aware scan...Avast alerts me
« on: April 10, 2007, 01:50:21 AM »
I have two questions folks. When I run a regular or boot up virus scan, avast comes back squeaky clean. But when I run Ad-Aware SE Pro and it's scanning, Avast will pop up all of a sudden and give me a virus alert!!  ??? I think it's detecting whatever Ad-Aware detected. So why is it 1, not detecting the malware to begin with and 2, detecting it when Ad-Aware does?

Thanks,
Frank

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Ad-Aware scan...Avast alerts me
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 02:42:18 AM »
You should pause the standard shield when doing another security scan. This not only avoids potential conflict but also stops duplication of scanning and will speed up the scan duration.

What I believe is happening is as adaware unpacks files avast is detecting signatures, because of what avast an on-access scanner it will intercept any file opened or unpacked for scanning and scan it before releasing it for the other process.

adaware also unpacks its signature files and avast can see and detect these.

What would have been helpful would have been the malware name, the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (malware name, C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?  Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

galloway_777

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:55:48 AM »
Thanks David. I'll get that bit of info to you as soon as the boot-time scan finishes up on that pc.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:04:02 AM »
adaware also unpacks its signature files and avast can see and detect these.
AdAware should do a better job while unpacking them and loading into memory...
I really choose one resident and I do not turn it off for other scannings.
For me, avast is on the front, other scanning should have less priority and I do not disable avast.
Ok, just my way of life 8)
The best things in life are free.