Author Topic: Minor problem using Avast Home Bootscan  (Read 13058 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Minor problem using Avast Home Bootscan
« on: April 11, 2007, 01:24:52 PM »
G'day all,

I have a minor problem using the latest Avast 4 Home edition v4.7.942, please keep in mind this has been installed on a brand new computer and it took me 1 year to save up this GREAT fast PC.

The motherboard is ASUS P5B Deluxe model and my keyboard is a Logitech G15 USB connection, I haven't been using Avast bootscan with my new PC for almost 2 months and didn't have any problem at all.

Until I realized their was a minor problem during bootscan I had 1 virus found call the kernels32.exe say Win32:Zhelatin-MQ [Wrm], and I manged to remove the virus to the chest no problem in the XP Window way.

Okay my problem is during the bootscan the Avast was unable to communicate with my Logitech G15 USB keyboard connection during the bootscan, because the Avast was unable to respond my command when operating the keyboard to remove the virus to chest.

Question is HOW! do I get Avast to communicate my keyboard during the bootscan and this is a brand new custom build computer, please remember my computer been operating 100% prefect in XP Pro OS not in the bootscan section and I am not ready for Vista OS until one year.

My brand new computer is ready for Vista OS until next year, because it way to early to jump on Vista until a lot software, drivers etc etc until it becomes fully operational for Vista.

Can you please help me......Alwil Thank you.

One last thing I forgot to tell you my keyboard is fully operational in the BIOS section, all USB is working and it been set to AUTO in the BIOS it means when I plus something into the UBS it will automatically responded. IF I program it to enable all 8 USB will be turn on all when not using it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:49:31 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Minor problem using Avast Home Bootscan
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »
I would have suggested enabling the USB devices in the BIOS but you appear to have checked that issue, so I'm somewhat baffled as to why it can't communicate.

I'm not sure what section of the BIOS it would come under, but the chicken and egg scenario sort of proves it is enabled as you wouldn't be able to change anything in the BIOS if it weren't recognised.

Have you tried a spare or borrowed PS2 keyboard (just to confirm it does work) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 03:22:59 PM »

Have you tried a spare or borrowed PS2 keyboard (just to confirm it does work) ?

G'day DavidR,

Thank you for your return reply.

I've spend almost 30 mins in the BIOS scratching head until it bleed why the USB keyboard won't work in the bootscan, and speaking about the PS2 keyboard I have ask nearly all my mates to borrowed one to confirmed it does work.

It funny all my mates got UBS keyboards and they all don't used Avast they all used AVG, bummer been using Avast almost 2 or 3 years and never come across the minor problem my old PC was a PS2 keyboard I didn't experience this minor USB problem in the bootscan in a new custom build computer.

DavidR is their away to confirmed the Avast software might be compatable all motherboard USB BIOS program language written inside the Avast software, I know this seem like a real dumb question I've reinstalling from scratch to find the glitch and everything is 100% working instead of the bootscan section.

My old PC is dead gone I should have kept the PS2 keyboard and I didn't realized this minor problem which I have never come across before, it seem I have learnt something new today from old PC to the future PC I've been operating a computer almost 20 years at work. The future PC worries me sometime when I am almost catching my grey hairs ;D as the year goes by.

Keep in mind this is a home computer not a company work computer when using Avast Home platform.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 03:34:41 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 03:38:39 PM »
What if you run the command
chkdsk c: /f
(supposing C: is your system drive)

Chkdsk should offer you to run a "boot-time" version of this tool. If you confirm - can you control the program (e.g. interrupt it) on the next reboot?

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »
What if you run the command
chkdsk c: /f
(supposing C: is your system drive)

Chkdsk should offer you to run a "boot-time" version of this tool. If you confirm - can you control the program (e.g. interrupt it) on the next reboot?

G'day Igor,

Okay where do I put this chkdsk c: /f into where under the start icon run section in Window XP, please confirmed pointing me to the right direction please if I am correct?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »
Yes, you can simply put it into the "Run" box (Win+R shortcut).

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »
Okay mate give that a try and I'll get back to you.

Ta

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »
This may or may not be helpful but....

I have an Asus A7V6-X /AWARD BIOS / Z-Board USB keyboard.

BIOS setting: 'USB Legacy Devices' - 'Enabled', rather than 'Auto'

Keyboard commands work during Avast bootscan.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 04:24:57 PM »
Igor,

I've follow your instruction run the chkdsk c: /f and type Y (yes) no problem so far, and reboot the computer.

During the boot up the checkdisk screen came and it asking me to hit any key before 8 second it up, the keyboard did not responed my command keep mind the new Logitech G15 keyboard USB connection is still working because all the keyboard letters glow in blue the Num Lock light show up on the top right keyboard on every other normal keyboard as normal.

All the keyboard letters still glow up in blue and will not interrupt the checkdisk before 8 second when I hit any key.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 04:41:20 PM by SpeedyPC »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 04:26:48 PM »
This may or may not be helpful but....

I have an Asus A7V6-X /AWARD BIOS / Z-Board USB keyboard.

BIOS setting: 'USB Legacy Devices' - 'Enabled', rather than 'Auto'

Keyboard commands work during Avast bootscan.

Aaaaah Vladimyr got an ASUS board I'll do that right now thank you ;D

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »
Vladimyr,

It didn't take long the BIOS setting: 'USB Legacy Devices' - 'Enabled', rather than 'Auto' didn't work :'( and tried the bootscan same problem :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'(

Any way it 12:38am at midnight better crash myself into bed, otherwise I'll fall asleep at work oops.

Keep it coming gotta find the problem somewhere.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 04:45:18 PM »
It really is a pain with no standardisation in the different BIOS interface makers screens out there.

If you have a digital camera, I would take a picture of each screen so you know where things are for the future (if you didn't get a manual with the MB).

Looks like you need to beg, borrow or take on long term loan, a PS2 keyboard to test it works.

Good Luck.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 08:51:55 PM »
If unable to beg, borrow or steal a ps2 keyboard, grab a usb to ps2 adapter. They're usually quiet easy to find.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 10:53:04 PM »
grab a usb to ps2 adapter. They're usually quiet easy to find.

Good morning and G'day,

Oldman that not a bad idea I have seen a usb to ps2 adapter yesterday morning when I was buy a mobile phone charger at the computer store, and I will try that adapter trick only cost around $4.00 instead of thinking buying another $90.00 keyboard comes with a PS2 connection.

It really is a pain with no standardisation in the different BIOS interface makers screens out there.

Yep I have seen way to many different BIOS interface makers out there and they are a real pain in arse, everytime they created something new and new motherboard makers too because BIOS is different for different motherborad design......make me wonder WHY! Aaaaaaaaah.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 11:28:30 PM »
You should be able to get a cheap PS2 keyboard, it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles of your existing one, it is just a spare. I have had mixed results when using USB to PS2 connectors in the past.

You might want to check out this topic same issue and see if there are any common factors, keyboard, bios, motherboard, etc. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27577.0