Author Topic: WHO'S USING AVAST ON WIN9X WITH ON-ACCESS SET TO HIGH??  (Read 10626 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
WHO'S USING AVAST ON WIN9X WITH ON-ACCESS SET TO HIGH??
« on: February 16, 2004, 08:14:17 AM »
Hi, we're currently in the stage of redesigning the default settings of the on-access scanning module for the next major release of avast.

We're considering making what's now called High to be Normal, and setting the config of High even higher. However, we have some concerns - especially related to stability under Windows 9x or ME.

So, we'd like to ask you guys who've the on-access scanner set to High (and using Win9x or ME) to share your experience with us. Also, this applies to those who have it set to Custom and use some advanced settings.

This does not apply to WinNT/2K/XP users as the avast drivers for these platforms are much more stable and we're pretty confident they'll work OK even with the elevated settings.

Thanks a lot,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Markus

Re:WHO'S USING AVAST ON WIN9X WITH ON-ACCESS SET TO HIGH??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 05:00:06 PM »
I'm using ME with setting set to high and it works fine.
I hope I'm understanding you correctly - is this the setting for the scan started from the Simple User Interface?

Mark

techie101

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 05:10:49 PM »
we're currently in the stage of redesigning the default settings of the on-access scanning module for the next major release of avast.
I think that this is overdue.....I use both Win98, ME, and XP with Avast Home and Pro.  I have never set the level to other than HIGH except to use Customize.  

we have some concerns - especially related to stability under Windows 9x or ME.
I have found that Avast Home is very stable with the Win98 platform regardless of where I set the control.  The same applies to my XP and Pro version.  I can set them both to Custom/OR NORMAL if you want me to run some testing.

I agree with you that there is more concern with upsetting the stability of the Win98 systems than more current Windows versions.

techie101

PS:  Good morning....or is it evening?  I think I get up when your going to bed.
Anyway, glad to help if I can. :D

« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 06:08:03 PM by techie101 »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 05:23:23 PM »
I have never set the level below NORMAL.

Did you mean below HIGH? I mean, setting it below NORMAL means setting to Custom and turning off various things - nothing a normal user would usually do...

I hope I'm understanding you correctly - is this the setting for the scan started from the Simple User Interface?

I meant the thing that appear if you click the avast tray icon. True, it's also accessible by the Simple User Interface, by clicking the a-ball symbol.

Thanks
Vlk

techie101

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 05:41:37 PM »
VLK.

Sorry about my phraseology.  I corrected my previous post to make it clearer.

The item you are referring to is the On Access Protection Scanner.  Yes?

All my modules are set to HIGH except the P2P which is set to CUSTOM

techie
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 06:06:48 PM by techie101 »

Del

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 07:58:37 PM »
Windows ME, set to high, never had a problem.

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 09:52:48 PM »
Win98SE, resident protection set to 'High'. No problems at all.  ;D ;D
MW

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 02:21:47 AM »
Win98 set on high.  No problems.  You talking about the Standard Shield provider?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 02:32:59 AM by Culpeper »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 08:45:20 AM »
Yes, thanks guys I'm talking about the Standard Shield provider.

Dirigo

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 05:33:47 PM »
VLK:

Win98 SE, set on HIGH.  Thus far, no problems.  

I've only been using avast! for approximately two weeks or so (maybe less).  Initially it was set to NORMAL, but I changed it to HIGH three days ago and have run the standard scan a number of times, but nothing like the other folks, I'm sure.

Dirigo

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 08:05:29 PM »
Hi - I am also using W98SE with a custom setting. I have only been using Avast Home for a little over a week. I am not having any problems at all. In fact, Avast Home was the easiest, quickest set up of all the anti-virus programs I have ever used.    :)  

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 09:15:11 PM »
Win98se here
On-Access Protection Control set to High
Standard Shield set to High

=> NO PROBS   ;D

Christopher

dooley

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 03:30:23 AM »
Hi Vlk, I am also running ME & have had Standard Shield provider set at High since I installed Avast last August.     Thanks again for such great VS.    Dooley.

dooley

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 03:37:04 AM »
Sorry Vlk, missed the answer to your question, which is,   no  prob. whatso ever.  Dooley   ;D

PCGirl

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 03:39:14 AM »
Hi,

I've been using Avast for approx 2  years now. I have used it on 98, 98SE, WinXP, and WinME.  I troubleshoot peoples computers and suggest to them to download the home version and we register under their name. I always set the scanners to the highest possible level (including check for removable).

So far, my version has never, ever failed me or caused issues. Occasionally another machine might hang with the virus scanner running at shut down, but with a little tweaking, that is solved.

I've probably installed Avast on approx 20 machines over the last 2 years and not one of the people that I've suggested it to, have complained.

Hope this helps.

Mandy in Australia. :D

PS  Don't worry, I don't sell it - just can't help telling everyone about the wonderful free scanner - hate to see people getting ripped off.  Most of my customers are from the lower income bracket.