Author Topic: Question re. Microsoft "malicious software removal tool"; redundant or necessary  (Read 6536 times)

Will91

Hi all:

My latest Microsoft update check indicates KB890830 "Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool" is available which says it will specifically look for Blaster, Sasser and MyDoom.

I guess this is something new and they will release new malicious tools every month now.

Does Avast already scan for these programs during a thorough scan or should I install and run this new Microsoft tool?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
I confess I let the MS tool download and run, it causes no problems with avast and no problems of any other kind.  I figure that, at once a month, "another pair of eyes" will not do any harm and just might find something.

Spiritsongs

:)  Hi Will :

That "Tool" has been around for years; my impression is that "Tool" is made
     available for those who have little or no security on their computer .
     I used it once and surprise, surprise, it detected nothing . If you have a
     decent antivirus program, 1 or more decent antiSPYWARE/antiTROJAN
     program(s) and a decent software firewall, I feel that Microsoft "Update"
     is a waste of time .

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
On dial-up, I don't bother with this tool as I feel as Spiritsongs I'm adequately protected and the windows security updates are long enough as it is on dial-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
That "Tool" has been around for years; my impression is that "Tool" is made available for those who have little or no security on their computer.
I feel the same...

It detected nothing.
Me too, never detected...

I feel that Microsoft "Update" is a waste of time.
Specially because they could have released this on Patch Tuesday with the others, avoiding the scanning of the computer all over again, hanging the computer resources, etc.
The best things in life are free.

news

Will91...

If you do not wish to run the malicious tool remover at the time it is installed...then by all means don't.

Those security updates are there for a reason....don't bypass any that apply to you. Everyone has an opinion...
this is mine. I have a test machine that I use at home and that tool has a place and a reason for being on your pc as all others. It's nice to have a firewall...antivirus software and spyware removers....for sure.

However I don't believe those patches are a waste of time...please install them. I know far too well what happens when you don't from using my test machine with them and without them. The alternative is something you don't want to experience.

You really don't have to run the tool if you don't want to. It runs in the background and checks for problems just like your antivirus software. I agree with alanrf...no harm being done and works well with avast!

Good Luck to you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
It runs in the background and checks for problems just like your antivirus software.
Does it run all the times? Is it resident?
How much resources does it take? Which is the name of the process running?

getsteppin

Think layer layer layer of protection...........MS has come along way lateley.
 I use nothing but. Ive canned all the 3rd party 'addons'....i.e...3rd party firewalls, 'cleaners' and 'scanners'. Just use the MS security stuff, defender...etc. AND USE A ROUTER!

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Does it run all the times? Is it resident?
How much resources does it take? Which is the name of the process running?
If I understand correctly, it auto-runs a scan one time only when first installed (each month, that is).  Something vaguely rings a bell that it also auto-uninstalls itself after running, if it didn't find anything, but I might be wrong about that.

Sorry I can't help with the name(s) of running process(es) or amount of resources, didn't pay any attention to that when it ran.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Well, a lot of interesting personal opinions and a perhaps a hint of prejudice.

In all the time I have used it avast has never found a virus on my system (even though I have planted some real viruses on my system in my mail folders).  avast has reported a number of false positives on my system.

The Microsoft malicious malware tool has reported neither real viruses nor false positives.  In that sense it has caused me less trouble than avast.  I have tons of bandwidth to download it, tons of CPU capacity, about half a terabyte of disk space ... and nothing against it. 

We all have to make our own choices.

If I may be permitted a word of criticism of advice posted in this thread:

I feel that Microsoft "Update" is a waste of time .

... is one of the most unwise recommendations to average systems users I have ever seen in this forum.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I feel that Microsoft "Update" is a waste of time .
... is one of the most unwise recommendations to average systems users I have ever seen in this forum.
I agree with Alanrf. Although, mine is set to Manual and I'll visit Windows Update regularly, I promise 8)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Mine to is now set to manual/ask, but recently I have been monitoring a couple of newsletters Shavlik Technologies security bulletins and Windows Secrets. I now tend to download them one at a time and save them to disk rather than use the windows update and install them when off-line.

Prior to installing the Updates I do a drive image backup of my partitions so if there are any issues (like that with the April 3rd Ani update which stuffed Creative sound cards) I can just restore the last image and wait for the hot-fix, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security