Author Topic: ICMP  (Read 18798 times)

estatik

ICMP
« on: April 27, 2003, 04:40:21 AM »
Hello to all!

I have been using avast4 for about 4 months and very happy with the prog.  But there has been something that has me pondering...I was wondering why my PC sends out a lot of ICMP traffic to you.  Specifically, 64.246.6.135, 207.44.156.15, 62.168.45.69, 207.44.156.15 and 195.70.130.34.  Sometimes at intervals of 30s at times for a period of 30m!   I have both virus database and program updating set to manual; I religiouly check for updates everyday :P.  Not much of a problem, but more of an annoyance.  So, is there any way I can configure/change any file(s) so that the ICMP pings cease permenantly ????  (WinMe, 900/512, avast4, sygate5, spybot, adaware6)

Thanks in advance.

¤estatik¤

« Last Edit: April 27, 2003, 04:41:01 AM by estatik »

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:ICMP
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 09:20:40 AM »
Take a look at this thread, maybe it solves your Problem.
MfG Ralf

estatik

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 09:12:57 PM »
Raman, are you talking about the Auto Dial Up thread?  Sorry, but it doesn't help me one bit.  For one thing, I'm not on a dial up connection and I've searched for, but can't find the avast/data/avast.ini file.  I think that Wim's thread is somewhat of a different issue than mine.  All I want to know is: 1) why does my firewall log enormous amount of ICMP traffic to avast (yesterday, ICMP traffic for 1½ hours straight at intervals of about 20 to 30 sec), and 2) how can I disable it from calling home?  
« Last Edit: April 27, 2003, 09:14:55 PM by estatik »

Amerk_5

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 02:07:04 AM »
The file you are looking for is actually named Avast4.ini

n4cer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 03:46:07 AM »
Insert the following into your avast4.ini:
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1

This should stop the pings.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 05:40:36 AM »
Yes, i nemt that thread. I forgot the link! ;)
MfG Ralf

estatik

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 09:23:40 AM »
The file you are looking for is actually named Avast4.ini
Amerk_5, found it, thanks for the clarification :).

[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1

This should stop the pings.
n4cer, I will try it as well as Vlk suggestion in Wim's thread :).

Yes, i nemt that thread. I forgot the link!
raman, no prob, understood ;).  I'm going to try both Vlk's suggestion as well as n4cers' (seems the strings are a bit different, no?)  But what the hey!  As long as the pings stop, I'm be even more of a happy camper ;D!

¤estatik¤  

estatik

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 10:16:20 AM »
Hello again,

Your suggestions has indeed stopped logging the ICMP pings, BUT, my pc is STILL trying to transmit/call home ????  Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't some of my system resources get used?  (I am using sygate 5, and although the logging of the ICMP traffic has ceased, I am certain that my pc is still trying to call home.)  Now, is there something else that can be changed/tweaked/deleted :o to permanently stop the constant blinking of the sygate and connection systray icons? (Must I resort to sticking some tape on my screen??? LoL.)

By the way, I tried both strings and they both seemed to work.  The logging at least :P.  

¤estatik¤

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 12:23:30 PM »
FMI: What Programm want to connect to the internet?
MfG Ralf

n4cer

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 05:29:02 AM »
estatik, are you sure your computer is actually sending out data, or is it receiving data?

On any connection, especially broadband, you'll get rouge connection attempts from infected pcs and/or hackers. That blinking may be Sygate doing its job and keeping intruders out.

Also, if your computer *is* sending out data, post the IP addresses. That may help us diagnose the problem. (Don't post your IP however if you have a broadband connection).

estatik

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2003, 09:30:42 AM »
FMI: What Programm want to connect to the internet?
ramam, forgive my fartting brain ;D...I realized the outbound program is just an ICMP to my ISP.  I thought that is was avast, but since I had added to the avast4.ini file, the ICMP has completely stopped.  Thanks again :).

estatik, are you sure your computer is actually sending out data, or is it receiving data?

On any connection, especially broadband, you'll get rouge connection attempts from infected pcs and/or hackers. That blinking may be Sygate doing its job and keeping intruders out.

Also, if your computer *is* sending out data, post the IP addresses. That may help us diagnose the problem. (Don't post your IP however if you have a broadband connection).
n4cer, my pc is sending BOTH inbound/outbound and when the sygate icon flashes, nothing is being logged.  I aggree with you that they might be futile attempts, but then shouldn't my firewall log the blocked traffic?  By the way, when I do get  inbound/outbound traffic blocked, they do get logged, but only when the sygate's incoming/outgoing icon is red.  The flashing that I'm concerned about are blue, which I assume are traffic accepted by my firewall?  Call me paranoid ;), but I had one too many "intrusions" to date >:(.  

¤estatik¤  

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 01:52:07 AM »
BUT, my pc is STILL trying to transmit/call home

Well, that's the auto-update function, right? Is it once every 4 hours? You'd have to set both VPS and program updates to manual to get rid of it, but I'm not sure if that is what you want...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

estatik

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2003, 02:46:57 AM »
Hey Vlk,

Yes, I have both VPS and program update settings on manual.  Like I said, I religiously check for updates everyday.  The issue with the ICMP pings has already been solved, thanks :).   I didn't know when I started this tread about adding [InetWD]... to the avast4.ini file.   Thanks to all and I appreciate your help!

¤estatik¤

rlm

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 05:44:24 AM »
I read al applied this change to the .ini file but where is the one I mention last?

***Posted by: n4cer  Posted on: April 28, 2003, 01:46:07 AM  
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1

This should stop the pings. ***

What and where is the suggestopn that VLK made???

***n4cer, I will try it as well as Vlk suggestion in Wim's thread .***

estatik

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 06:08:20 AM »
rlm, is this what you are looking for?  It is in Wim's post...

author=Vlk link=board=1;threadid=267;start=0#msg1191 date=1051378584]
Wim, I suppose you're using Windows 9x or ME, right?

Please try the following: open the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini, and add the following 2 lines:

[InetWD]
UseRAS=1

Then restart your computer. This could help.

Like I said, I tried each, both separately and one or the other seems to work.  I don't think you want to apply BOTH strings though...

¤estatik¤