Author Topic: System 32 Files in the Virus Chest  (Read 9361 times)

baddies

Re: System 32 Files in the Virus Chest
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 01:20:44 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes, Tech..

I think I have another problem... I just did a full boot scan and then some files cannot be scanned, so I sent those files to the Chest (not one of the System 32 files..).. In the Chest, I scanned the files, it found no viruses, and then I restored the files... What's weird is that when I selected all files and clicked restore,   it says it successfully restored the files but the files are still in the Chest.. What to do now..?

And the application which Avast could not scan the files is alright.. Is it now safe to delete those files..?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 01:24:59 PM »
What's weird is that when I selected all files and clicked restore,   it says it successfully restored the files but the files are still in the Chest.. What to do now..?
It's how it works... the file is kept into Chest even when restored. You can delete the files within Chest.

And the application which Avast could not scan the files is alright.. Is it now safe to delete those files..?
Can you say what is the infected file name, where was it found (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx)?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »
Finally! My problem is solved!
After I was finally able to uninstall AVG, thanks to AVG's AVG Uninstaller.. It really helped..

My AVG was actually the one that gave me the problems.. I almost forgot that AVG, when opening things, it scans for viruses.. And I think it caused problems with Avast because, as you guys said, it wuld do conflicts because it runs on the same system resource.. <snip>

Now you are seeing why we say two resident AVs as advised by your friend, is ill advised and rather than provide twice the protection can bring your system to its knees.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

baddies

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »
What's weird is that when I selected all files and clicked restore,   it says it successfully restored the files but the files are still in the Chest.. What to do now..?
It's how it works... the file is kept into Chest even when restored. You can delete the files within Chest.

I thought of not erasing it (the files in the Chest) because in the help files (Avast help log, the one in the application's option), it says that when I restore a file from the Chest, the file is simultaneously removed from the Chest..

Can you say what is the infected file name, where was it found (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx)?

The infected files are components of an application, Garena (the one used for playing online DOTA)..

baddies

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 07:09:33 AM »
Just want to clarify something..

Let's say that an application could not be scanned by Avast.. Then the application's files are sent to the vault because Avast finds it having some virus essence.. Then I scan the files and then the files are found out not having virus. Then I try to restore the files and the files won't be restored.. If delete the files, will the application go crazy..?

CharleyO

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 08:39:03 AM »

We are all glad you got it sorted out, baddies.   :)

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.

baddies

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »
Sure thing.. Ill help others because people helped me... I want the favor to be "paid forward" rather than giving it back..  :)