Author Topic: Cannot open attachments in webmail in FF!  (Read 3074 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Cannot open attachments in webmail in FF!
« on: April 20, 2007, 02:34:08 PM »
When I get an e-mail through webmail and try to open an attachment I get a message C:\DOCUME~\...\LOCALS~1\Temp|name of file - and the message reads: "could not be saved, because the source file could not be read. Try again later, or contact the server administrator."
When I download the attachment as "all files" there is no problem opening it with the appropriate program. When I run the webmail program in IE7 no problem either to open up at once, after some prompt, but noraml behaviour of this browser. What is wrong in my Firefox browser settings or has it to do with firewall settings?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot open attachments in webmail in FF!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:07:29 PM »
I have experienced this in the past... but you're more patient to write the problem down.
I generally does not use webmail, but OE or TB.
When I use webmail, generally I save the file to disk and does not open it directly (as it uses a temporary file that, after all, I need to delete, could have sensitive information, etc.).
Hope we can find a reason for the Firefox behavior...
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Can again open attachments in webmail in FF!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 10:27:06 PM »
Hi Tech,

First tried to get around the issue by clearing the temporal files of DOCUME~1\ etc etc. Also deleted the compreg.dat file in the components folder, in the hope that when it automattically re-installed would work.
All to no avail. Apparently the bug has nothing to do with the measurements Mozilla developers advise, I think they are also in the dark about this bug, and that it is a configuration error of the rather poorly developed DL Manager in either Flock or FF, and when the DL manager tries automatically to open the files from the Windows temp directory, this won't work. So the bug is persistant, and we do not know hence it appears, but it does not go away trying to restore the profile.
Good thing I had a back-up of my favourite flavour of Flock on a USB armband. De-installed the buggy version, re-installed the old one, and hopla problem solved. Still frustrating is not to know what caused it to appear in the first place, but it must be a crash when closing down the browser,

polonus
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 10:28:46 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!