Author Topic: Cannot send receve with Avast email provider on  (Read 23188 times)

ThorAsguard

Re: Cannot send receve with Avast email provider on
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »
I have just updated to the latest version of Avast and I sent and received once and then it is now back to normal. I cannot send or receive with outlook express or incredimail I have tried to send a screen shot but it is impossible on this site it is always too large but it just states time out as Avast takes too long  to allow it to send I guess. I have altered the timeout to various times and still get the problem. So I feel Avast is just not good enough if it cannot allow mail in or out even with outlook express. There are no errors other than time out now. So this is just a mystery. Back to boring AVG antivirus then.

I have tried everything but no answer to this problem which leads me to believe Avast is at fault but why is it only a few people seem to get this problem, so must be more than just Avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 02:55:42 PM »
Crop the image to only that necessary to show the error message or save it as a gif image which is likely to be smaller or just copy and paste the error text.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ThorAsguard

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »
I get no response from avast it does not timeout Incredimail does not timeout as it has no timeout in the programme as far as I can see but outlook will after 60 seconds. The error message is as follows

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'Boris3Tara4', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

This is all I get on outlook and it is only when the avast mail scanner is on. Somehow Avast does not work with ntlworld or virginmedia as it is now called. There is no error with the email so therefore I assume it is avast. I have never known another anti virus programme to do this. There is obviously something as this has come up time and again on your message boards, I do not know what else to show you. This is avast professional which is not very good if cannot perform on both e-mail programmes. Can you suggest anything else.

Thank you.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 07:47:54 PM »
That error message allied to the fact you only get it when the Internet Mail enabled is a classic and generally points to a firewall blocking the ashMaiSv.exe.

Since you say the you are 'only' using the windows xp firewall, check that and see if there is an entry for ashMaiSv.exe in the exceptions list, if not add it.

It comes up again and again in the forums mainly because a firewall is blocking the avast process that intercepts the email.

avast also works differently to many email scanners in that it scans the email in a local proxy 'before' it gets in your inbox. It is easier to deal with an infected email before it gets into your system, once in there it could execute any payload. Worse extracting an infected email from its database file could corrupt the email folder (which is just a database file not a true folder), resulting in the loss of all emails in that folder, not something you want.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RomanAllOver

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 08:30:46 PM »
To all

I had this problem with my Webmail account I kept getting a time out as soon as I try to connect to my server.

I found out that it was Web Shield that stopped me from connecting.
I fixed this by clicking customize in Web Shield and inserting my Webmail address into the ignored address field. It worked for me.

Just to mention that I use FireFox as my Internet browser and Thunderbird as my email client.

Hope that this helps.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:29:46 AM by RomanAllOver »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »
ThorAsguard's problem is with POP3 (port 110) email not webmail as the error text clearly shows so the web shield has no interaction with non-http protocol/port 80 traffic.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 11:37:10 PM »
ThorAsguard

It would help us to better understand what is happening to create (for a while) a more detailed avast! log of your mail connections.

You can get the mailscanner to log your connections by editing the avast4.ini file (in  Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA folder).

In the section headed:
[MailScanner]
add the line:

Log=20
and save the updated file.

Then please try to read in some mail to generate the logging information.
The log will be in Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\ashmaisv.log
Before posting the log you should mask any personally identifiable information.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:38:59 PM by alanrf »

ThorAsguard

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 11:33:18 PM »
ashMaiSv.exe has already been added as I done this a while ago. Thanks.

ThorAsguard

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 12:12:12 AM »
I have added the line and I have tried to receive the e-mail. I do not know why but it has this time brought in the mail. I first tried Incredimail then Outlook. Incredimail brought it in but outlook timed out. I then tried ootlook again and it then brought in the address account I asked it to. I will try again tomorrow and see if it is still ok but why the change I just do not know.I am trying to think of what I have done differently but I cannot see that I have it just worked this time. I am going to try to post the log so hope this works.

Thanks

ThorAsguard

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 10:54:02 AM »
 ??? I have now tried bringing in e-mail again today and as before Avast will not let it through. I have set Avast to 40 seconds but Avast does not let me know that it is timing out. It just carries on forever trying to bring the mail in. If I use outlook instead of incredimail it will timout as set at 60 secs but Incredimail does not have this in it's programme for some reason.

Looks like back to square one. The log I posted was when it actually worked but why I do not know as it has stopped again now.

Thank you

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »
The avast log for the failed attempt will be a lot more valuable than the avast log for the successful effort.

user12345

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 09:33:49 AM »
i had this problem too for some time and solution was strange...

i use Ashampoo firewall (great tiny app if main use for firewall is to block only on application level)
and there was a rule to allow all ashMsaiv.exe communication, but after main Avast app was updated
it seems it started blocking it... removing and adding same rule helped so now thunderbird worx via
email provider again here...

about email provider... i suggest you turn off nntp checking by default, because it seriously degrades
nntp download speed (couple of my friends had this prob and didnt know that avast was degrading their
nntp download speed)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 10:19:32 AM »
While the friendliness of this forum is legendary I think that sometimes we fail to point out that some of the posts tend to hijack threads and bear little relevance to the problem reported by the original poster. 

Sorry to say that I think this is the case here.  A valid post about the need to ensure firewalls have recognized changes to the antivirus product and also a fairly common complaint about the overhead of avast scanning nntp sessions ... but does it help the original poster ... I think not. 

Please consider a new thread of your own. 

ThorAsguard

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 02:48:09 PM »
The avast log for the failed attempt will be a lot more valuable than the avast log for the successful effort.

Hi Sorry will post one. But today for some reason again it has worked all day so far. I have done nothing different but it scanned the mail and brought it in. So today is goo I will wait to see if it goes wrong again and post another log.

ThorAsguard

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2007, 02:33:10 PM »
Today it is back to normal it seems and will not send or receive. i tried individual accounts then all of them together in Incredimail and nothing. The last one I tried was with Outlook Express and the same thing happened and it timed out saying no error so I am not sure if something on my pc is interfering with Avast or not but it is very strange I think.