Author Topic: Default priority  (Read 4308 times)

valtter

Default priority
« on: April 15, 2007, 02:16:53 PM »
Hi, i'm using avast4 home newest version but i have had this problem from the very beginning.. I want to set ashServ.exe service default priority to normal because high priority freezes my system sometimes.. especially when avast is updating or scanning some files. I have it installed in a laptop with xp home editition.. These freezes are really annoying and i have changed the priority setting through taskmanager manually every time i reboot my system and i'am very bored with it now. So please tell me how to change the priority.. Thank allready.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Default priority
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 02:42:08 PM »
What is your version, the very latest is 4.7.981, this version has lowered the priority inthe update process. However the standard shield (ashServ.exe) is the main scanning engine and it needs to be able to intercept files to be scanned before they are opened.

If the the priority were reduced it may allow malware to get established, the idea of the high priority is also designed to quickly scan and hand back to other applications of a lower priority.

Can you tell us about your system, CPU, RAM, etc. ?
What sensitivity have you got the Standard Shield set at (Normal is the default, high will scan more files) ?
What is it that you are doing that is being slowed ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
What other security based software do you have that might have an impact, e.g. anti-spyware,  Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, etc. ?

The reason I ask all these questions is, avast by comparison to other AVs is light on resources and I see no noticeable impact on what I do and my system isn't any speed machine.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

valtter

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 03:39:05 PM »
I am using version 4.7.942.. Yes.. I really like avast because it really is very light on resources and has been able to keep my system clean for years by now.. The freeze is not really big but it is noticeable.. It occurs on the startup when the database is updated and always when i start watching movie and sometimes when i surf on the net.. I notice it because everything seems to lockup for a while and the avast icon on the taskbar is stopped on different angle than normally.. freeze lasts up for about 2 seconds and everything comes to normal after that. I have allways used avast on my laptop (hp pavilion zv5329ea) since i bought it from the shop. There was preinstalled norton av but i uninstalled it and removed all its components because i knew i didn't want to use it. I've been loyale for avast a very long time now because it is simply the BEST av i have ever used.

About my system:
antispyware installed:
adaware
microsoft defender

the system:
windows xp sp2
AMD Athlon XP-M 3000+  1.6 GhZ
Nvidia GeForce 440 Go 64 MB
512 MB DDR
10/100 LAN RealTek Fast Ethernet

I updated to the newest version and i'm now testing it on my system so i reply later again about
the results.

Thank you very much.

valtter

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 03:58:28 PM »
The update helped for the system startup.. and the update process doesn't freeze anymore..

i also lowered the sensitivity to normal from high(custom).. maybe it helps with other problems.

I'm testing it now with the video player and while surfing..

valtter

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 04:22:03 PM »
Yep..

everything seems to be ok now.  ;D

Thaks you and keep up the good work!!!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 04:48:27 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.

Normal is the default setting in most of the providers and provides a good balance between protection and performance. In my personal settings I have the Internet Mail and Web Shield set to High and that doesn't have much if any noticeable impact on my systems performance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »
The ashServ.exe priority shouldn't be changed.
The desired effect will fail, worse, it will be slower the processing of scanning.
ashServ.exe should be at high priority and release the file after scanning as soon as possible, on contrary, the file won't be release after more time.
Do you have any other antivirus or security program installed in this computer?

The update process priority has already been changed/improved as posted before.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »
I also lowered the sensitivity to normal from high(custom).. maybe it helps with other problems.
You can test the Custom sensitivity and uncheck the scanning of opened/created/modified files.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 05:00:54 PM »
The initial problem is resolved now Tech.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 05:07:31 PM »
The initial problem is resolved now Tech.

I know. I just post another tweak to be tested...
It not a reason to stop just because everything 'seems' to be ok. They could be better... the user could learn how to configure and manage avast, etc.