Author Topic: Avast hiccup?  (Read 5054 times)

Avast hiccup?
« on: April 23, 2007, 03:31:21 PM »
I got a popup from Avast yesterday morning notifying me of a program update. I updated and computer was fine all day. This am when I botted I couldn't display any webpage until I disabled Avast's protection. I've reenabled Avast now and everything is fine for the moment anyway.

XP Home
Avast 4.7.986

regards,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast hiccup?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »
Which firewall do you use?
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

When avast is updated the components (.exe) change and then the firewall could not be allowing them to connect, scan, allow browsing, etc.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:06:12 PM »
I got a popup from Avast yesterday morning notifying me of a program update. I updated and computer was fine all day. This am when I botted I couldn't display any webpage until I disabled Avast's protection.

After a program update, there is normally a reboot request, I assume you chose not to reboot. Because program elements change your firewall should detect this change and ask permission again for the changed elements as mentioned by Tech.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:38:51 PM »
I use ZA free 7.0.337 and all those have the permissions they need. That was the first thing I checked when I couldn't get online. Good idea though.

Yes, I rebooted after the update.

thx,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 11:06:48 PM »
Occasionally ZA seems to get amnesia when it comes to permissions and files that are allowed access somehow can't connect.

ZA should have asked permission the first time you connected for all the changed processes (mentioned by Tech) after the program update and reboot, I'm assuming that didn't happen ?

If this happens in the future go back into ZA and delete the entries for ashWebSv.exe and connect to the internet, this will force ZA to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 11:10:52 PM »
I use ZA free 7.0.337 and all those have the permissions they need.

Yes, I rebooted after the update.

Mysteries... or David find another possibility of failure...

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »
Yes, after the program update/upgrade Zone Alarm ask for permission to let the various Avast components connect. After the Avast program update/upgrade everything was normal right up until I couldn't get online.

I got the Avast program update/upgrade, everything behaved normally the rest of the day. I shutdown my computer over night but then after booting the next am I couldn't get on the web (tried both IE and Firefox) until I shutdown Avast. I shutdown Avast and I was able to surf. Then I restarted Avast and so far haven't had any more problems other than I've noticed it's taking pages a little longer to load which I can't positively blame Avast for but then again I didn't get the slowdown until after it acted up either.

thanks,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:25:24 PM »
I got the Avast program update/upgrade, everything behaved normally the rest of the day. I shutdown my computer over night but then after booting the next am I couldn't get on the web (tried both IE and Firefox) until I shutdown Avast. I shutdown Avast and I was able to surf. Then I restarted Avast and so far haven't had any more problems other than I've noticed it's taking pages a little longer to load which I can't positively blame Avast for but then again I didn't get the slowdown until after it acted up either.
Could be the router (if you use one) that remain connected, could be any problem with ZA settings, could be... anything else. Glad everything is working, but it will be difficult to guess what happened exactly.