Author Topic: Minor but annoying XP startup issue with 4.7.981  (Read 22496 times)

roleo

Re: Minor but annoying XP startup issue with 4.7.981
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 08:08:03 PM »
Hi, seem to have had a similar problem. Avast would only start, eventually, after update with only 3 modules, Network, Web and e-mail. Used regedit to remove "group" from HKLMC\System\currentcontrolset\services\avast!antivirus which worked.

Tried using add/remove program to edit/repair modules ,but this did not work.

Crashman

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 08:33:30 PM »
Greetings, roleo,

My experience was almost exactly the same.  Mine loaded with all four modules working, but after I removed all but Outlook/Exchange and adjusted the groups value for testing purposes, I was unable to reinstall the other services using Add/Remove.  My system locked up at the end of the add/remove process, and a hard reboot was the only way out.  When I got back into Windows, I did a complete uninstall of avast!, rebooted, then reinstalled avast!.  This worked fine, and after removing the groups value from the registry again, the boot process was back to normal.

(I didn't mention this in my earlier posts because I didn't want to introduce a new twist to the issue of tracking down the boot delay.)

I am currently running the four providers (standard, network, web, and internet mail), WITHOUT the "groups" registry entry, and everything is perfect.  The system boots well, and programs run very crisply.

Best regards,
Crashman

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 10:08:43 PM »
Crashman, so if you download and run WinObj (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/WinObj.mspx - the download link is at the bottom of the page) and navigate to the Device folder, the object "WebDavRedirector" is not in it?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Crashman

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2007, 12:22:07 AM »
Vlk,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I fell asleep unexpectedly...we aging people need our sleep, it appears ;D

That is correct.  With the aforementioned avast modules running and the "groups" setting removed from the registry, and with XP's WebClient service disabled, I show no "WebDavRedirector" object in that folder of WinObj. If I enable the WebClient service without rebooting or logging off and back on to Windows, the WebDavRedirector object reappears in the devices list of WinObj.

I then reset the WebClient service back to Automatic and rebooted the system.  With "groups" still missing from the registry, the desktop icons, taskbar, startup sound and startup programs all again loaded within one second of the appearance of the desktop.  The only very slight difference with the WebClient service automatically enabled at startup is that the avast! tray icon's "red slashed circle" (signifying that some component is not enabled) appears for a few seconds, but then disappears, leaving avast's resident shields fully functional. The red slash does not appear with the WebClient service set to manual or disabled.

So, for me at least, the WebClient service itself introduces a very slight delay in avast! components loading fully, but has no effect on the loading of Windows itself or of other startup programs/sounds, and avast! components do fully load within a few seconds.  But the "groups" setting being present -- with or without WebClient service running at startup -- creates the more significant delays and issues we've been working on this week.

Thanks again for continuing to look into this!
Crashman
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:50:29 AM by Crashman »

apri

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 08:57:16 PM »
Hello there!

First of all sorry for my no-good-english!

Since the newest release of avast, i got real heavy problems with my system!

At first, my system hangs for at least two (!) minutes at startup.
Wallpaper and icons are complete, but the network is "locked".

Then, after these (long) two minutes, a new error appears when i play a game, have an bt-client open and copy some data an my xbox at once.
In this case, after a few seconds my system shut down, without a warning or something!

Playing a game and doing only one of these things, there is nothing!

Oh, and by the way...
While testing the posted "WebDavMiniTest.exe" this error message pops up:
"Base address mismatch for webclnt.dll! [5AA50000]."

What does this mean?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:00:39 PM by apri »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 12:23:32 AM »
Please update to version 4.7.986, then open avast settings, go to the Troubleshooting page and check the "Delay loading of avast services" box.
That should resolve the issue.

Thanks
Vlk

Crashman

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 02:10:55 AM »
Vlk,

Thanks for the heads up.  Downloading it now.

And thanks again for working with me to get me straightened out!

Regards,
Crashman

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 02:45:54 AM »
Please update to version 4.7.986, then open avast settings, go to the Troubleshooting page and check the "Delay loading of avast services" box. That should resolve the issue.
Vlk, does this update do not require restart of the system?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2007, 03:06:47 AM »
It required a system restart when I did a manual update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »
Crashman, I am still not entirely sure why the issue happened (and I'd really love to play with your machine a bit more to find out) but the latest version should help.

Thanks
Vlk

apri

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2007, 10:35:19 AM »
Thank you!

With the newest update and your help my system starts up without problems.

ts

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2007, 06:41:21 PM »
Just wanted to report that the Groups-Trick helped for me, too. I had the same problems as the guys here:

- No icons in tray after avast startup.
- No spinning avast logo.
- Startup took about 2 minutes with avast in status "Starting..." in the Services Control Panel.

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack2 with recent updates installed

Crashman

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2007, 08:22:18 PM »
Vlk,

The latest version does indeed improve startup considerably.  Only the red slash tray icon for a few seconds with WebClient service set to automatic (normal icon with that service set a manual or disabled) remains when the "delay loading of avast services" option is ticked.

I'd be happy to help... but on Tuesday and Thursday next week (April 24 and 26) it may be difficult to get a lot of time at my computer (especially at times when you may be awake in your part of the world!).  Let me know what you'd like, and we'll work something out schedule-wise.

Crashman
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 04:30:50 AM by Crashman »

thiruppu

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 03:54:01 PM »
how to down load avast home edition4.7

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.