Author Topic: Help if anyone knows what I should do  (Read 5993 times)

forreste52

Help if anyone knows what I should do
« on: April 06, 2008, 11:15:20 PM »
Hi,
My question is this I have been having little things happen so I ran the Avast Anti virus and the results were that "Archives not scanned password protected". Needless to say I have not put a password on archives. (would not even know how) I also cannot do a "system restore" on the computer. It will not do it even if I go back to Jan. I do have system saved places.
Does anyone know anything about results like this? Should I just put them in the chest?
Thank you in advance anyone, I do appreciate any advice anyone could give me.
Forreste

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help if anyone knows what I should do
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:27:44 PM »
It isn't you that applies the password, but an application protecting its files.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text. If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

forreste52

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:36:57 PM »
Thank you very much for telling me this. I have run the Avast many times never have had this response to the scan. So it does not mean a problem, though computer still won't do a system restore. I am getting a flash (quick) message of a "problem detected" and the computer restarts itself. These were the reasons for doing the thorough scan with Avast. I have been running checks with spy bot, ad-aware. Something does seem wrong, just not wise enough to know what. Thank you again. Forreste

forreste52

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:55:02 PM »
I will go check file names and locations and reasons. I did not see this the first time reading it. Nervous when computer acts weird. Sorry.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 12:15:52 AM »
What version of avast are you using? 4.7 or 4.8

forreste52

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:17:56 AM »
(3) say:   C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.\Windows Application Data\...\sbRecovery.reg
(6) say    same as above _____________________________________________________.ini
(2) say       same as above then                     \Windows\...\2007 Nov4-04_35_28AM_953.log
(1)             same as above  then                     \\...\Registry Smart Scheduled Scan.job  (on mine scan the letters are not apart)

Sorry the font went to small size, working on making it bigger. Not sure why it went to small size.  
Again thank you for any thoughts.    

Avast 4.8 Home Edition                        

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:37:30 AM »
4.8 has self protection. If you disable the self protection, system restore should work. Turn it back on afterwards.

forreste52

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 01:00:54 AM »
Okay, thank you I did not know that it was protected. Forreste

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 01:03:56 AM »
You're welcome. That seems to be the answer at the moment.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 01:18:35 AM »
(3) say:   C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.\Windows Application Data\...\sbRecovery.reg
(6) say    same as above _____________________________________________________.ini
(2) say       same as above then                     \Windows\...\2007 Nov4-04_35_28AM_953.log
(1)             same as above  then                     \\...\Registry Smart Scheduled Scan.job  (on mine scan the letters are not apart)
<snip>

Do you or have you had Spybot S&D (?) as they look like they belong to that and are legitimate for the use of a password by S&D.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

forreste52

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 09:35:13 AM »
The computer is still doing strange things. I know I am very very inexperienced (but trying hard to learn).
I did try to disable so I could do a system restore. I did this by going to the "I" lower right by the clock I
computer to restore.Commodo keeps popping a warning defense box and even though I check
"block" the box keeps popping up. Wants to modify to something that ends .dll Aren't dll things bad?
Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.
Forreste
Sorry box keeps popping up, I do not think I said or it is under pop up box the computer was still unable to restore.
So how to rid myself of box, and restore computer

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 02:29:32 PM »
What strange things we need a little more to work with than, it is doing strange things.

What is the information on the defence box, what file/program is it pointing to ?

What does it want to modify, try to be as detailed as possible ?

There should be a more info (or words to that effect) on that box, what info does that give ?
Sorry I don't use Comodo so can't be of more practical help.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 02:39:20 PM »
I don't know where comodo comes into play, but it seems you are trying to disable the wrong thing. The I icon by the clock is the VRBD. This is not where you disable avast self protection.

Right click the "a" icon, select program settings, troubleshooting. Now you should see a box to check or uncheck for the self protection.

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »

Information for forreste ......

Quote from forreste52:

Wants to modify to something that ends .dll Aren't dll things bad?

No, not all dll's are bad. In fact, your computer's OS needs many of them to be able to operate your computer. You can read more about Dynamic Link Libraries at the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library

I hope this helps you understand better about dll things.    :)