Author Topic: Scan history icons swapped  (Read 1137 times)

Offline ajey

• Safe with avast! :)
    • Ajey's computer blog
Scan history icons swapped
« on: June 01, 2021, 07:00:23 PM »
Hi, I was checking out my scan history in avast, oddly the scans which found no malware has a red exclamation mark on its left and the scans which actually had found malware has green tick on its left. I think the icons are swapped for the results.

Same issue is also their in AVG Free running in another machine. My machine is running avast! premium security running 21.4 update. Refer attached screenshot (taken when running free version, same happens with premium security too).
Windows 10 | avast! premium security | https://ajeyscomputerblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scan history icons swapped
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 08:01:26 PM »
Many such topics in the forums about this, ghost icon with !.

It means that a file was unable to be scanned, but not amounting to virus found.

Why are you running so many scans ?
With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ajey

• Safe with avast! :)
    • Ajey's computer blog
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 05:52:13 PM »
Many such topics in the forums about this, ghost icon with !.

It means that a file was unable to be scanned, but not amounting to virus found.

Why are you running so many scans ?
With a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.

Then the UI needs to make it clear that some files were not scanned. This ghost icon with red exclamation mark does not represent that information visually. Also showing a green tick along with a scan that detected malware isn't clear (may be it intends to convey that the threat was deleted/quarantined)

I was testing out if the scan speeds increased after initial scans. I know I don't need to scan this often :)
Windows 10 | avast! premium security | https://ajeyscomputerblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 06:51:56 PM »
You could also check the scan logs as this is just a visual representation, one that I agree isn't great.

For me the greater point is that there are no malware alerts, though I can't see what it is in your image you have obfuscated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security