Author Topic: Why the reboot?  (Read 2705 times)

Keith Warner

Why the reboot?
« on: April 19, 2007, 02:59:29 AM »
About 24 hours ago avast! did an auto-update, then told me to reboot.  Okay, done.  A little while ago I did a reboot to finish the un-install of another program.  When everything was up and running, avast! popped up with "Reboot required."  I hadn't done anything to avast!.  Any ideas?  I don't recall ever having to reboot, except after installing a new version.

On another note, my other laptop was damaged in a flood last summer, and according to PC Pitstop's online diagnostic the processor is running at about 10%.  Since I use it as a back-up, with nothing important stored, I just run freeware for protection.  Last night avast! informed me the registration was about to expire, so I re-registered.  Tonight I got the same message.  Is it Groundhog Day?

Thanks,  Keith Warner 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Why the reboot?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:03:13 AM »
There were two updates: 4.7.981 and 4.7.986
Wasn't avast! updated twice?
Is this message continue or it just occur once, after the second installation?
The best things in life are free.

Keith Warner

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:20:23 AM »
I right-clicked the tray icon just now, and "About" showed 4.7.981, so I manually downloaded .986 and am about to reboot.  I don't know what the earlier one was for.  See you in a while.

KW

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 11:56:22 PM »
I right-clicked the tray icon just now, and "About" showed 4.7.981, so I manually downloaded .986 and am about to reboot.  I don't know what the earlier one was for.  See you in a while.
Why don't you repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.