Author Topic: Undoing move to chest  (Read 3766 times)

Offline naveen_75us

Undoing move to chest
« on: April 19, 2007, 06:40:20 PM »
Hi folks,

I am an avast user since long and am really happy the way it works and goes about the job.

I recomend it to my freinds too.

Recently i have installed in on a badly infected system and did a boot up scan of the whole system.

The system is a dual boot wit server 2003 and xp.

It found many viruses and moved almost everything to the chest.

I later found that some operating system files were missing after the boot.

Now is there is a way to recover the files moved to chest so that i can get back the old system.

Plz provide a solution as the second os is completely dead. and it contains important sap data.

Regards
Naveen

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Undoing move to chest
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 07:53:12 PM »

What were the files and locations that were missing are you sure they were system files or just files in the system folders ?

Before doing this I would confirm that they are infected (extract to a temp location, same as below but select extract) and check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently 32 different scanners.
Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. Whichever scanner you use, you can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.

If they prove not to be infected then, restore them, if infected, I see no purpose restoring an infected file.

To restore a file from the avast chest, Open the avast chest, find the file, right click and select restore.
Core2Duo E8300/ 4GB Ram/ WinXP ProSP3/ avast! free 2015 10.2.2217 R2-SP2 beta/ Outpost Firewall Pro9.1/ Firefox 37.0.1, NoScript, RequestPolicy/ MailWasher Pro/ DropMyRights/ MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium 2.1.4/ WinPatrol+/ Drive Image 7.1/ SnagIt 10.0/ avast! mobile security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 11:22:27 PM »
It found many viruses and moved almost everything to the chest.
Now is there is a way to recover the files moved to chest so that i can get back the old system.
Sure, open the Chest, right click the files, scan them first and restore the clean ones...
Chest executable: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashChest.exe
The best things in life are free.

Offline naveen_75us

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 10:10:53 AM »
hi folks
I have tried to restore the files but avast chest is showing only the files moved from one drive only ie f where the operating system is.

So what should i do to find the files that are moved from the other three drives.

regards
Naveen

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 02:45:12 PM »
This question remains unanswered, relating to your "I later found that some operating system files were missing after the boot."

Quote from: DavidR
What were the files and locations that were missing are you sure they were system files or just files in the system folders ?

Before files are restored you should confirm they are clean.

All files sent to the chest (regardless of where they came from) should be in the Infected Files section of the chest.
Are you sure you sent them to the chest 'Move to Chest' and not another option like 'Move/Rename' ?
If you used move/rename they would be in the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\moved folder.

Can you give some examples of these other files and locations ?

I can't stress enough that before you restore anything there has to be a good reason for it, you believe the files are not infected, etc. and you confirm that.
Core2Duo E8300/ 4GB Ram/ WinXP ProSP3/ avast! free 2015 10.2.2217 R2-SP2 beta/ Outpost Firewall Pro9.1/ Firefox 37.0.1, NoScript, RequestPolicy/ MailWasher Pro/ DropMyRights/ MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium 2.1.4/ WinPatrol+/ Drive Image 7.1/ SnagIt 10.0/ avast! mobile security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 05:42:21 PM »
So what should i do to find the files that are moved from the other three drives.
Or they weren't moved (but deleted, for instance, by your command) or they remain in the drive. There is only one Chest for all files. The Chest are divided into folders. The one you should look is the 'infected' folder.
The files on System folder are clean files stored there for backup purposes.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 02:48:46 PM »
If you want to restore the "chested" files from another OS (= another installation of avast!), you'd have to copy the content of <avast4>\Data\Chest from the other avast! installation's folder into the current one... and possibly restart the computer (or at least the avast! service).
It might work...