Author Topic: Clean but not Clean !!  (Read 2177 times)

ntechie

Clean but not Clean !!
« on: April 25, 2007, 07:06:38 AM »
I was infected with trojans sometimes ago and after a lot of struggle many were cleaned with help from here and there. Presently the state of affairs is that when I scan with Avast Home from within the winXP it gives a  clean report. But when I scan the same window from win98SE ( I have multi-booting System) the Avast shows "w32.Dialer-DW(Trj)" in C:\Pagefile.exe. It gives the prompt to "Move to Chest".

2. I have done the scan from win98 three times and I get similar reports. Only the VPS version of the malware changes like 000735-1 04/21/2007, 000735-2 04/23/2007 etc etc.

3. What is to be done ??
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 07:26:07 AM by ntechie »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Clean but not Clean !!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 07:37:01 AM »
It looks like one of four things are happening. The earlier vps might be picking up a false positive,and this was corrected in the latest version. Or the later version might have an up dated detection and is detected the file as infected, though it could be a false positive.

Which vps is detecting the file?

In any case, you should submi the file to virustotal  http://www.virustotal.com/xhtml/index_en.html  , it's an online muti engine scanner. If avast is the only one to detect it, it probably is a false positive. If others detect it, move it to the chest. It will be safe there and further investigation can be made.

Please post back the results, no matter what. Welcome to the forum.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Clean but not Clean !!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 08:37:19 AM »
Hi ntechie,

What to do is update the Windows 98SE version with the unofficial service pack 2: http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html Then have a scan with a-squared free.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!