Author Topic: Avast home edition v4.7.981/986 lets system hang  (Read 7710 times)

marcelj

Avast home edition v4.7.981/986 lets system hang
« on: April 20, 2007, 01:04:52 PM »
Hi Vlk,

On one of my two computers I have this weard problem with Avast Home Edition v4.7.981 and 4.7.986.
I updated automatically to v981, the reboot after install went OK, but then the next day when booting the system (or maybe after a couple of (re-)boots) the system hangs. It gets as far as the login screen, where I can see the three users I defined, but clicking on either of those doesn't get me into the system.
The system is dead as a horse.
I searched the Net and found something about Windows XP-update KB925902, which together with Realtek-stuff might avoid the system from properly booting.
So I went back to my last save-backup and disabled this paricular MS-update. Avast however updated automatically again, to v986 this time, and there the same problem occurred again.
After disabling several thing after again restoring my last save-backup I got the impression, that Avast could be causing the problem. S again I went back to my last save, disabled the automatic program-update in Avast, installed all the MS updates and untill now I'm not having any problems whatsoever. So
currently I'm running Avast v4.7.942.
The most peculiar thing is, that on this same PC I'm not having this problem with W2000-Pro, only in WXP-Pro.
And furthermore I'm not having this problem at all on my other PC, neither in XP-Pro nor in W2000-Pro.
So on PC1, in XP as well as 2000, I'm running the latest version (986) without any problem, but on PC2 V986 runs properly in 2000, but not in XP.
Sticking to v942 in XP on PC2 "solves" my problem, but maybe you can give me a clue about what's going on.

I'm running this home-edition for years now and I'm still very satisfied and pleased about your program, it does a marvellous job.

If you need any more ifo, please let me know. However, by restoring my last save-backup I don't have any logfiles anymore. I did by the way look into the system logfiles, but didn't see any relevant info in there (maybe because the system hung these files were not updated).

Best regards,
Marcel

apri

marcelj

Re: Avast home edition v4.7.981/986 lets system hang
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 11:48:27 AM »
Hi Apri,

Sorry for the late reaction.
I think my problem is a bit different (maybe even worse) cause I can't log in at all. So no possibility to check anything during startup.

Marcel

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 01:15:01 AM »
cause I can't log in at all.
Marcel, can't you boot even in Safe Mode?
The best things in life are free.

marcelj

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 01:08:30 PM »
Hi Tech,

Yes, I can boot in safe-mode, but most probably that is cause Avast is not started up then.
Marcel

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 01:48:06 PM »
Yes, I can boot in safe-mode, but most probably that is cause Avast is not started up then.
Ok, but this way you can uninstall any conflicting software or even avast and try to solve the problems.
You can have experiencing some trouble of being 'upgraded' avast from a previous version. Maybe if you uninstall and install from the scratch it will be better.

Did you try this? http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27835.msg227957#msg227957

marcelj

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 12:12:40 AM »
Hi Tech,

In that topic  the problem is about Avast Pro, I´m having the problem with Avast Home, or doesn´t that make any difference?
I can in safe-mode try to trigger the cause of the problem by uninstalling all other programs one by one. But that of course is a hell of a job, which I prefer to postpone untill there is no other way to solve this.
Uninstalling and re-installing is a possibility, but if that doesn't help I would like to "down"grade to v4.7.942 (dutch), the version I'm using now without any problem, because otherwise I have to go back to my last backup each time I mess up.
I searched the Net already for this particular version, but couldn't find it, that is, not the Dutch version. Because I use(d) the Automatic program-update, I don't have the setupdu.exe on my HDD.

I looked into the reg-file, I think the definitions in there are already in my registry.
Ok, as soon as I can get hold of this 942-version, I'll give the uninstall and re-install of Avast a try.

Have a nice weekend,
Marcel

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 03:26:37 AM »
In that topic  the problem is about Avast Pro, I´m having the problem with Avast Home, or doesn´t that make any difference?
You're right. Sorry my first post was wrong, it does not relate to Home version.

I can in safe-mode try to trigger the cause of the problem by uninstalling all other programs one by one.
Just list the security program that you're using and we can give a better 'shot' on the probably guilty ones...

marcelj

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 02:23:06 PM »
Hi Tech,

What do you exactly mean by "Just list the security program that you're using"?
Do you mean the programs being started when Windows boots?

Marcel

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »
This is the sort of thing Tech is on about, Anti-spyware, other on-demand AVs, firewall, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

marcelj

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 03:22:36 PM »
Hi DavidR/Tech,

This is my security-stuff:
-SpywareBlaster
-SpywareGuard
-S&D TeaTimer
-Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall
-PhisGuard
-And of course Avast Home Edition

And periodical I run Ad-Aware, System Spyware Interrogator, a-Squared, RootkitRevealer.
And I'm using Earthlink with a Scamblocker and PopUp Blocker.

Marcel
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 03:42:33 PM by marcelj »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 03:41:31 PM »
I don't know how/what PhisGuard works/is (other than anti-phishing) but I doubt it would cause this kind of interaction. The others I doubt would have effect/conflict, so I'm at a loss as to the inconsistency between versions and OSes with presumably the same software running on it as you listed above. You could try disabling the active elements of these to see if there is any change.

You could go to filehippo.com as they have copies of previous versions. Though this is far from ideal as eventually you will have to update.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.

I would suggest you run this after the uninstall to ensure the registry keys are completely gone. At that point I would suggest you do a back-up to avoid having to fall back to an earlier one where you had to get the windows updates again. Then I would try installing 4.7.986 after having cleaned out the registry and see if you have any better luck, if not go bask the the back-up and install the earlier version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

marcelj

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 04:03:44 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Last night I already downloaded 4.7.942 from FileHippo, the only problem is that this is the English version, not the Dutch one I was looking for. But OK, I think I have to live with that.
I downloaded that utility you mentioned and one of these days I'll follow your instructions: uninstall, clean, re-install.
I'll let you know the results, but that will not be "yesterday".

And PhisGuard indeed is an AntiPhishing community program.

Have a nice weekend,
Marcel

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 04:17:37 PM »
I'm almost sure that the solution is to go to the Troubleshooting page in avast settings and check the "Delay loading of avast services" box.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

marcelj

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 03:22:07 PM »
Hi Vlk,

Amazing Magic.
How simple a solution can be.
I checked that box, booted something like 5 times and no problem whatsoever.
Thanks a lot for your support and please forward my thanks to Tech and DavidR as well for their support.
Have a nice day,
Marcel