Author Topic: Keep getting a red box saying ERROR!!  (Read 4275 times)

Drop Bear

Keep getting a red box saying ERROR!!
« on: June 20, 2007, 09:06:44 AM »
G'day all, everytime my Avast tries to automatically download to update to the latest version I get a red box that pops up (instead of the usual blue one), telling me that an error occurred while trying to connect to the server......I've been having to do it manually.

I recently installed a new firewall but I have all the Avast stuff set to allow, so I'm stuck as to what's happening. If anyone could please help it would be muchly appreciated, thanks in advance.

P.S. My OS is Windows XP SP2.

Drop Bear

Re: Keep getting a red box saying ERROR!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:41:17 PM »
This is the error screen I get after clicking on the red error pop up box....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 03:01:35 PM »
You have posted in the Forum dedicated to the server version of avast, so hopefully ome of the moderators will move it to the correct forum avast 4 home/pro.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update (right click the avast icon, select Updating, iAVS Update), this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Drop Bear

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 04:55:17 PM »
You have posted in the Forum dedicated to the server version of avast, so hopefully ome of the moderators will move it to the correct forum avast 4 home/pro.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update (right click the avast icon, select Updating, iAVS Update), this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Yeah sorry about it being in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where it should go, so mod could you please move this to the right place?

My firewall is comodo and I have it all set to let Avast access the net. If it's any help here's the red error box that keeps popping up....and after getting this I try the manual update and it says that the program is already up to date....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:38:58 PM »
Is there an entry for avast.setup ?
If so delete it as I suggested ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:33:12 PM »
Everytime my Avast tries to automatically download to update to the latest version I get a red box that pops up (instead of the usual blue one), telling me that an error occurred while trying to connect to the server......I've been having to do it manually.
Is this the case that only automatic update fails and manual works?
Any automatic update or just the one just after you logon?

Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
The best things in life are free.

Drop Bear

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 02:17:13 AM »

Yeah cheers mate, deleted it as you suggested and then re ticked the allow box for comodo firewall and problem solved.

Thanks again.

Drop Bear

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 02:20:03 AM »
Everytime my Avast tries to automatically download to update to the latest version I get a red box that pops up (instead of the usual blue one), telling me that an error occurred while trying to connect to the server......I've been having to do it manually.
Is this the case that only automatic update fails and manual works?
Any automatic update or just the one just after you logon?

Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)

Thanks for that list, some of those I wasn't sure about.

Cheers anyway, problem fixed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 03:20:57 AM »
You're welcome 8)
Feel free to come back any time you need help.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 03:46:58 AM »

Yeah cheers mate, deleted it as you suggested and then re ticked the allow box for comodo firewall and problem solved.

Thanks again.

No problem, glad I could help.
Welcome to the forums.

It is strange but this happens frequently in many firewalls, they somehow get amnesia even when an application has permission granted yet it can't get access.