Author Topic: {noisy} Notification of infection  (Read 4127 times)

jc55

{noisy} Notification of infection
« on: April 21, 2007, 01:08:04 AM »
I'm running 4.7 Home version.  Every time avast! discovers an infected e-mail, it tells the neighbors.  Can I {how do I} 'turn off' the bells and whistles?  I'd like it just to delete the infected e-mail.

Thanks - james

jc55

Re: {noisy} Notification of infection
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 01:32:20 AM »
I'm replying to my own query {with a paste from 2-days back.  I should have looked before posting}.  If the pasted in answer is valid {from DavidR, I believe} - no reply needed.  james

"You only have a limited option in the Home (free) version, to send the infected file to the virus Chest (silent mode, with general answer no, see below).

My own feeling on this is you should use the default interactive action (I appreciate you don't want to be disturbed but if this is such a regular occurrence you need to take other measures). This way you know exactly what is going on with your system. If you are getting so many warnings, that you want to automate this process, I believe you should review your security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, review the sites they visit, etc.

See the avast help file, Resident Protection: Internet Mail Provider Settings - "Advanced" Page.
Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the General answer No."

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 01:36:57 AM »
You can disable the sounds, Program Settings, Sounds, Disable avast sounds. Or you could replace the .wav alert files with your own, or edit and reduce the volume, someone in the forums has done this recently.

Edit: removed my response as you found it ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jc55

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 01:45:32 AM »
If I access 'System Sounds' and disable avast! sounds, I'm thinking the avast! 'found an infected e-mail' will still take center stage on my screen, until I make the appropriate mouse clicks to relegate the culprit to 'delete'?

Can one configure to the removal of an infected e-mail works totally without 'user assist'? - james

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 02:29:45 PM »
The sounds only deal with the audible alert and not visual alert.

As the information you found clearly states NO you can't auto delete (deletion is IMHO never a good first option), but YES you can send it to the chest automatically by making the changes mentioned.

As I also mentioned knowing what is going on with your system could be a valuable warning of something seriously wrong with your system security. So to simply send to the chest is effectively treating a symptom and not the disease, the reason why/how it got on your system.

It is your system and the choice is yours.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 04:22:38 PM »
Can one configure to the removal of an infected e-mail works totally without 'user assist'? - james
Only in the Professional version.
The best things in life are free.

jc55

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »
Hi Tech, 

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I should either accept avast! 'as-is' - or bite the {$$} bullet - james