Author Topic: Major lagging?  (Read 6422 times)

digitalreign

Major lagging?
« on: April 21, 2007, 07:28:25 AM »
Hi, I'm May and I'm new to using avast! anti-virus home edition (FREE). I've been using it for about a week, along with a ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, Javacool's SpywareBlaster, SpyBot- Search & Destroy and AVG Anti-Spyware (FREE).

After a couple of days of using all of these programs, I tried to download the SP2 Microsoft Update, but it didn't work. Apparently, something was wrong with my registry, and my friend told me to do the Compaq System Recovery. I was going to do that when I had time off, but then I started experiencing problems with lagging. On Thursday around 4:30PM my computer lagged like crazy. I would double-click Mozilla Firefox and it wouldn't open. I tried other programs -- nothing. I restarted the computer, hoping that would fix it, but it was STILL like that. Then I had to leave for something, and when I came back around 7 PM, it was perfectly fine again, but I had clicked Mozilla like ten times, so there were 10 windows open.

I thought it was a one time thing, but it happened again today. I would click something, but it wouldn't open. Then after a while, it would finally open. So I was so frustrated that I finally just did the Compaq System Recovery around dinnertime and I redownloaded all of the programs, except the ZoneAlarm firewall and the AVG Anti-Spyware (FREE). I didn't have any problems till around 9PM when it lagged once again and nothing moved. I even tried ALT+CTRL+DEL, but nothing popped up. Like half an hour later, it worked again.

I figured it was probably all the programs I downloaded that lagged my computer. I checked my CPU and it was all the way at 100% most of the time! So right now, I have all of the programs that I installed earlier uninstalled.

This has been driving me completely nuts since I'm in much need of the computer for school and stuff. And I am absolutely clueless about computers. I've spent the entire day trying to fix it (TGIF!) and I'm just really tired and frustrated. Oh yeah, and I run on a COMPAQ Windows XP Home Edition..

anyone know if these programs are causing this? I'm sure it isn't a virus or spyware since I know I scanned recently and haven't found anything bad.

Thank you!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Major lagging?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 07:53:25 PM »
I would click something, but it wouldn't open. Then after a while, it would finally open.
Please, change the sensibility of Standard Shield to Normal (instead of High).
If that does not help, uncheck to scan open/created/modified files into Standard Shield settings.

I checked my CPU and it was all the way at 100% most of the time!
Which process is using the CPU? (CTRL+ALT+DEL and check the process name).
The best things in life are free.

digitalreign

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:13:35 PM »
Here's an image of my current processes:

I actually don't know what most of those are, but I only have a mozilla window open right now, and the Windows Security Center.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:54:34 PM »
I suggest you tick the 'Show processes for all users as I can't see any avast processes, they begin with ash or asw.

You can do a google search (on the Image Name in the Processes Tab of your image) for anything you are unsure of, for instance, kbd.exe would appear to relate to a Logitec Multimedia Keyboard or a Hewlett Packard keyboard handler.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

digitalreign

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 10:26:12 PM »
I have Avast & everything else uninstalled right now to see if it will lag..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 11:05:09 PM »
I actually don't know what most of those are, but I only have a mozilla window open right now, and the Windows Security Center.
The System is Idle... look at the 99% of the CPU is idle, no process is using it.
You can sort the process clicking on the name of the column, or by image name (to find what David said) or by the CPU usage...
Right now, nothing seems to be lagging your computer...

digitalreign

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:35:40 AM »
Here's an image where the CPU was at 100%

So far, it hasn't major lagged after I uninstalled avast & everything else.

por100pre1

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 02:24:18 PM »
It would be good to see which services are running. Anyway, it seems to be a problem with XP itself.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 04:43:29 PM »
I bet on Microsoft Windows updates being scanning the background...
Look the process svchost.exe file using 99% of the CPU.
I see no other option to avoid this than 1) wait MS to finish or 2) disable Automatic updates of Windows.

digitalreign

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 11:31:52 PM »
Thanks for all your help! I changed the Windows Update to prompt me when it's ready to install so it won't automatically install :)
It hasn't lagged a lot since :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 12:17:43 AM »
Thanks for all your help! I changed the Windows Update to prompt me when it's ready to install so it won't automatically install :)
It hasn't lagged a lot since :)
I wish Microsoft or any other advanced user discover how to solve this, I mean, try to run Windows Updates in a *low* (or not so high) priority, in background... If anybody discover how to do this, please, post. Thanks.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 04:45:15 AM »

So far, it hasn't major lagged after I uninstalled avast & everything else.

I don't see any avast! services running here. You can't blame the 100% cpu use on avast!.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/wuauclt/

I think your problem is you're way short on RAM.  I'm set on MS updates without this problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 04:52:06 AM »
I don't see any avast! services running here. You can't blame the 100% cpu use on avast!
It's just check the option for showing processes from all users (including System) and you'll see them...

I think your problem is you're way short on RAM.  I'm set on MS updates without this problem.
The RAM is free and can be monitored. The used is the CPU.
I have 1Gb of RAM and it's not few for Windows XP, really, I think the MS updates are guilty here...

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 05:28:53 AM »
Hi digitalreign

If you've installed the optional 'Microsoft Update' (rather than the standard 'Windows Update') it will periodically scan and compare all MS apps. The only way to stop it is to go to Microsoft Update web page > Change settings, scroll to the bottom and disable it.

Windows Defender will also check for updates and is equally unthrottled in its aquisition of CPU cycles.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

mauserme

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 05:44:07 AM »
That Backweb-194057 can be heavy on resources and verges on spyware.  It comes pre-installed on Compaqa and HPs and can be configured by the manufacturer to check for updates, deliver news, download advertising, etc.  It should be removable in Add/Remove programs.