Author Topic: Scanning time + false positive?  (Read 3022 times)

argus tuft

Scanning time + false positive?
« on: April 22, 2007, 07:20:50 AM »
Hi, I installed avast home edition yesterday, so far quite impressed :-)
 I ran a thorough scan, about 100GB of data, and it took about 4 hours, is this normal? My pc is a P4 (hyper threaded) 3.2Ghz with 1GB of ram, winxp home sp2.
 Other active protection: spybot's teatimer, and spyware terminator.

As to the second part of my question, when I looked in the chest, there were 3 system files, kernel32.dll, winsock.dll, and wsock32.dll, none of which were infected when I scanned them individually. I was wondering whether these were replaced by avast as part of the shields? If not, I guess I restore them.
 Thanks in advance, argus

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
Re: Scanning time + false positive?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 07:45:16 AM »
Hey argus tuft, Welcome to the forums.

For 100 GB of data, that's not bad since that was your initial scan. To speed things up from now on I would suggest running the standard scan instead of a thorough one unless the standard scan finds something.

The files you found in the chest are copies put there by Avast in case a virus would damage the original ones, so you can just leave them there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 08:34:07 AM by marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

argus tuft

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 08:16:16 AM »
Thanks marc57 :D

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:17:55 AM »
No problem, Glad to help.  :)
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 03:21:41 PM »
As to the second part of my question, when I looked in the chest, there were 3 system files, kernel32.dll, winsock.dll, and wsock32.dll, none of which were infected when I scanned them individually.

You will notice the avast chest is in three sections:
1. Infected Files, speaks for itself, any files detected by avast that you chose Move to Chest as the action.
2. System files, back-up copies of important system files, where you found those you mentioned.
3. User Files, an area for the user to import suspicious files that haven't been detected so they can do no harm and can be sent by email to Alwil for further analysis.

The other All Chest Files isn't a section in its own right just a collation of all of the other three, personally I feel this should be removed as people could think possibly as you did that the system file back-ups were infected.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security