Author Topic: Linux? Which one?  (Read 13762 times)

Spyros

Linux? Which one?
« on: April 23, 2007, 04:26:59 PM »
Hi,
I know some of the forum members use Linux as their OS.

Which one would you advice me to use?

Please bear in mind:
-It should be free.
-I know (almost) nothing about it and need the easiest one (for Windows users).
-I want to install it, not a live-CD.
-I need it for business use (documents, internet, e-mail etc. - I don't care about video, music, games etc.)

Thanks for any help  :)

Negeltu

Re: Linux? Which one?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 04:38:49 PM »
I really enjoy using Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn and MEPIS.

SimplyMEPIS has pretty good hardware support and I believe it comes with things like Flash already installed(I think). It worked on all of my systems when other distros wouldn't.
http://www.mepis.org/

Ubuntu is my favorite so far.  You do have to install some things to enable mp3 and dvd playback.
http://www.ubuntu.com

FreeSpire 2.0 is coming out sometime soon.  I would also give that a try.  It comes with mp3 and dvd playback already installed (Legally) and looks similar to XP (Almost :-D  ).
http://www.freespire.org/   

I DO recommend using the Live CDs first.  Get use to using Linux based OS's.  The install cd's ARE the Live CD's as well.  So .. burn them pop them in your cd drive and reboot.  The OS will run from the CD and use your RAM.  Once you feel comfortable with using Linux AND the console (just a wee bit hehe) then take the plunge.

Have fun!   ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 04:44:33 PM by Negeltu »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:48:22 PM »
Kubuntu 7.04 (last version)

It should be free: ok.
I know (almost) nothing about it and need the easiest one (for Windows users): KDE interface is the nearest to Windows.
I want to install it, not a live-CD: Kubuntu has both options.
I need it for business use (documents, internet, e-mail etc.): go ahead...
The best things in life are free.

Negeltu

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:00:30 PM »
Kubuntu is good.  Basically Ubuntu using KDE desktop instead of GNOME.  I have had a lot of problems with Kubuntu though.  Freezing and boot problems.  I had better results installing the kubuntu desktop after installing Ubuntu.  I really don't know what the difference is, but installing Ubuntu first then installing the Kubuntu desktop package on top of that worked best for me.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »
-It should be free.
-I know (almost) nothing about it and need the easiest one (for Windows users).
-I want to install it, not a live-CD.
-I need it for business use (documents, internet, e-mail etc. - I don't care about video, music, games etc.)

Here's a comparison of the top ten distributions:

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

From my signature, you can see that I use Ubuntu, and use it with the same expectations you have.

As Tech mentioned, Kubuntu, with the KDE interface, is more like Windows in appearance. Ubuntu, with the Gnome interface, has the softer look of a Mac.

The Ubuntu website has already been posted. Read there, and then download and install if you'd like. The live CD is suggested, because by using it, you will be checking to be sure that there are no conflicts with your hardware and drivers prior to installing - which can be done directly from the live CD.

:)

Edit:

If you would prefer, or have a slow internet connection, you can order an installation cd for free. See here:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 05:30:18 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 05:36:20 PM »
Kubuntu is good.  Basically Ubuntu using KDE desktop instead of GNOME.  I have had a lot of problems with Kubuntu though.  Freezing and boot problems.
Well... you could install Ubuntu and then just...
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
Voilá... Ubuntu becomes Kubuntu...

I had better results installing the kubuntu desktop after installing Ubuntu.  I really don't know what the difference is, but installing Ubuntu first then installing the Kubuntu desktop package on top of that worked best for me.
A lot of users recommend to install Ubuntu (Gnome) desktop after Kubuntu. The command will be similar:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

In fact, I have three desktop options installed: KDE, Gnome and XFCE
So I have Kubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu in the same computer... just choose when I make login...

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 11:28:31 PM »
So I have Kubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu in the same computer... just choose when I make login...

That's interesting. Since many programs are duplicated with each interface, I'm curious as to what the size of your total install is? If I have the space, I might try it...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 01:26:52 AM by OrangeCrate »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 11:32:07 PM »
Since many programs are duplicated with each interface, I'm curious as to what the size of your total install is? If I have the space, I might try it...
I'll check when I get home... but seems that 800Mb will be enough for everything...
When you run the commands, you'll be advised of the total downloaded files and the final space used by them. You can test by yourself...

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 11:54:08 PM »
I'll check when I get home...

Don't bother. After further thought, I've decided to leave this box the way it is, because I use it for business.

Later this year, when I get a new computer, I'll use this one to play around with.

Thanks anyway.

:)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 12:11:36 AM »
Hi OrangeCrate,

If you want to try it out, how can you load a linux distro onto a 4 G usb stick and run that on a windows machine next to the windows OS. Is that possible? So you have two in one?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 01:18:48 AM »
If you want to try it out, how can you load a linux distro onto a 4 G usb stick and run that on a windows machine next to the windows OS. Is that possible? So you have two in one?

These are the instructions for 6.10. It also works for 7.04:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/25/usb-x-ubuntu-610

You can download the 7.04 ISO image from here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 02:18:34 AM by OrangeCrate »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 01:23:33 AM »
Don't bother. After further thought, I've decided to leave this box the way it is, because I use it for business.
Again, you can run the command and answer NO before the download starts.
It will calculate the download size and the installation size.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 02:40:20 AM »

If you decide on Ubuntu, here are screenshots of Gnome and KDE, to help you choose which version you like:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

As you've probably noticed, we're shooting the breeze in the rest of this post about options, but personally, I would suggest to go with one or the other, then get up and running, and familiar with the programs, before you start to customize. (Crawl before you walk, walk before you run...)

If you already use Firefox, and OpenOffice, the change is easy, as they are default to Ubuntu. If you're not familiar with OpenOffice, in particular, you might think about dual booting so that you have access to MS Office, until you get used to OOo.

Though I don't really need Windows, I like to have it available. If eventually you decide that you want to go with Linux alone, you can delete the Windows partition later.

If you decide to go for it, and have any questions, just let us know. Also, check into the Ubuntu forums. Particularly the "Absolute Beginner" forum for advice.

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Negeltu

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 03:38:42 AM »
Kubuntu is good.  Basically Ubuntu using KDE desktop instead of GNOME.  I have had a lot of problems with Kubuntu though.  Freezing and boot problems.
Well... you could install Ubuntu and then just...
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
Voilá... Ubuntu becomes Kubuntu...

I had better results installing the kubuntu desktop after installing Ubuntu.  I really don't know what the difference is, but installing Ubuntu first then installing the Kubuntu desktop package on top of that worked best for me.
A lot of users recommend to install Ubuntu (Gnome) desktop after Kubuntu. The command will be similar:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Yeah.  There are many who agree with your suggestion, but it just doesn't work that way for me.  I've tried Kubuntu on 3 different systems and each had lockups and problems.  Ubuntu itself with GNOME didn't have these problems.  I really like Kubuntu and KDE in general.  I do agree that if you want the closest look to Windows GUI the go with Kubuntu or KDE as your desktop.  I however prefer the minimal look of GNOME.  I do have the Kubuntu desktop installed on one of my Ubuntu installations and it works much better than a straight Kubuntu install for me.  I really don't understand why, but it does.

FreeSpire 2.0 should be out soon, however.  If you want Windows-like...then wait for it.  It is built on Ubuntu, but has many changes that make it more closely resemble and act like Windows.

Spyros

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 01:28:34 PM »
Thank you for your help  :)

Another question: Once installed, do I need a software firewall (I don't have a hardware FW)? Avast for linux?