Author Topic: Linux? Which one?  (Read 13760 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Linux? Which one?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 01:49:35 PM »
Another question: Once installed, do I need a software firewall (I don't have a hardware FW)? Avast for linux?
Yes, you can use DogGuard (if you have Gnome desktop, Ubuntu) or FireStarter (if you use KDE on Kubuntu).
You can download and install the debian package (.deb) of avast for Linux (just on-demand scanning, not resident).
The best things in life are free.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 06:58:17 PM »
Another question: Once installed, do I need a software firewall (I don't have a hardware FW)? Avast for Linux?

There is a powerful built in Linux firewall called iptables. The two programs that Tech mentioned, are the GUI interfaces respective of Gnome (Firestarter) or KDE (Guarddog) to configure the firewall. When you get that far, let me know, and I'll give you the settings to use.

Here's some reading on security in Ubuntu Linux:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security

In fact, Psychocats is a very good reference tool, that should be bookmarked and then read thoroughly when you have the time.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 06:59:58 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 08:04:12 PM »
I'll give you the settings to use.
To use what? Firestarter? KDE? IPTables?

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 09:42:46 PM »
I'll give you the settings to use.
To use what? Firestarter? KDE? IPTables?

For the Firestarter or Guarddog GUIs to configure iptables. As I'm sure your quite aware, by default, iptables blocks all inbound traffic. In otherwords, all ports are closed by default.

But it does not block outgoing traffic, which is why you use Firestarter/Guarddog to configure iptables, if you think you need to, or simply want to. (The link above (^^), discusses the need for a firewall on Ubuntu.)

If you're going to filter outbound traffic, you need to configure, in particular, the ICMP settings, so a person can run as "stealth" if they desire.

Like I said, if and when he gets there, I'd be happy to help him walk through the settings.

The following link is an overview of Firestarter. Guarddog is similar, since they're both are tied to iptables, which is standard on all modern Linux distributions. I believe there are some other GUIs in the repos, but I've never looked at them. I've been happy with Firestarter, and I assume Guarddog does what you want it to do.

http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/manual/wizard.php
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 03:50:27 AM by OrangeCrate »

FastGame

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 07:00:13 PM »
Hi Spyros, give PCLinuxOS a try for the best in KDE.  8)

In other words, you might not know what you're missing if you don't  ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:02:43 PM by FastGame »

Spyros

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 07:30:05 PM »
Hi Spyros, give PCLinuxOS a try for the best in KDE.  8)

In other words, you might not know what you're missing if you don't  ;)
Thanks, I understand it is in some kind of "release candidate" at the moment, right? I just might give it a try when the Final version comes out.

I also downloaded Ubuntu yesterday and played a little bit with it (as Live-CD), I liked it, looks like an "orange-Mac"  ;D  I'm going to send my old PC to a technician one of these days (probably destroyed Hard Disk). As soon as it is ready, I'll install a distro. I just hope XP was the last OS I spent money for...

FastGame

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 07:43:51 PM »
Thanks, I understand it is in some kind of "release candidate" at the moment, right? I just might give it a try when the Final version comes out.
Yes its at test release 3 and test release 4 should be out within a day or 2. TR4 will update to Final, but its best to wait like you said  8)

Happy Linux  :)

Spyros

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »
Yes its at test release 3 and test release 4 should be out within a day or 2. TR4 will update to Final, but its best to wait like you said  8)

Happy Linux  :)

It's out! See the >>UPDATES<< thread.
I'm going to download tonight  ;D 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 04:15:39 PM »
For Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Edubuntu lovers  8)
http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2007/05/22/full-circle-magazine-for-ubuntu-users/
Link gracefully found by drhayden1  :)

If you want more...
Running Windows XP In Ubuntu: http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2006/06/18/running-windows-xp-in-ubuntu/

Spyros

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 09:49:46 PM »
After booting with the PCLinuxOS live cd it asks me for a username & password. Anyone knows what those are?

timcan

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 10:24:10 PM »
After booting with the PCLinuxOS live cd it asks me for a username & password. Anyone knows what those are?

As root: username= root
            password = root

As guest : username = guest
               password = guest
Hope this helps.

Spyros

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2007, 10:33:49 PM »
Thanks!  :)

Spyros

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2007, 05:09:09 PM »

As root: username= root
            password = root

As guest : username = guest
               password = guest
Hope this helps.

OK, so I tried the "guest" username & password, it works, but then it asks me for another login. I tried "guest" again, but that doesn't work. Any help?

timcan

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2007, 07:42:47 PM »
Hi Spyros, is it asking for root privileges?  Try "root"