Author Topic: Where are my taskbar globes?  (Read 2954 times)

ogun

Where are my taskbar globes?
« on: April 25, 2007, 05:55:25 AM »
I just upgraded to Pro from free after moving to vista Ult-clean install, new HDD...I don't see my taskbar balls err..globes. I have to open the application and run the updater manually now. I am using the enhanced interface. It seems like a step backwards to me and this is illogical. So far the only benefit has been to schedule scans which I could not do in the Free version.

What, pray tell, am I doing wrong or am I not doing? The benefits of Pro versus Free are indeed small(scheduler) as compared to the negative(loss of automatic update, no balls) ???

MarKvi

Re: Where are my taskbar globes?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:06:30 AM »
Hi,

which version of avast! you have installed ?
Can you check :
- Task manager - Processes - if ashDisp.exe is running ?
- msconfig - Starup - if ashDisp.exe is checked/selected ?

Try manualy start ashDisp.exe ...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:00:11 PM »
avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

This is the usual culprit - What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.

Or Add the path to ashDisp.exe into a value named avast! in the Windows Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (see c:\avaststartup.reg if help needed)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ogun

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 06:35:01 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Silly me, I should have thought of checking my startup. Ashdisp.exe is missing. Furthermore, Avast is running as a service (bad configuration on my part?). Took the advice and created a shortcut and now I feel good that I can see my balls. Can the services be stopped and can I simply add ashdisp.exe to my startup folder? I think Avast is working as a service since all the ashes are shown as active processes, but I feel better with the taskbar visuals. Of course I am running Adaware SE plus and Spybot S&D in addition to Windows Defender.

ogun :-[

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:16:41 AM »
Yes you should be able to it to your startup folder.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 02:52:40 PM »
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Silly me, I should have thought of checking my startup. Ashdisp.exe is missing. Furthermore, Avast is running as a service (bad configuration on my part?).

avast some services, but because the ashDisp.exe is a user interface it isn't run as a service, but a start-up entry for the user.

Took the advice and created a shortcut and now I feel good that I can see my balls. Can the services be stopped and can I simply add ashdisp.exe to my startup folder?

The shortcut as I mentioned will need to be clicked on each boot, this was merely a temporary work around. The services need to remain as they are and a new start-up entry created for ashDisp.exe.

I think Avast is working as a service since all the ashes are shown as active processes, but I feel better with the taskbar visuals. Of course I am running Adaware SE plus and Spybot S&D in addition to Windows Defender.

Two possible reasons for the disappearance of the icons in the first place is AdAware's AdWatch or Defender as they monitor new start-up entries. What really gets me is if the simply delete or block this creation without notifying the user. Either that or they did notify you, but you didn't allow the creation as you didn't know what it was.

You should check both of these applications and see which is responsible and restore the entry and allow ashDisp.exe, otherwise this could happen again, probably not with avast if you put a shortcut in the startup folder, but with other programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security