Author Topic: Running Scans from ADNM  (Read 3309 times)

otte

Running Scans from ADNM
« on: April 25, 2007, 04:20:04 PM »
Is it possible to scan a remote machine from the ADNM that does not have any agents on it?  I want some of my servers to not have any Anti Virus software on them but still be able to scan them on a regular basis, say every night from a scheduled task.

Thanks

Otte

av-outsource

Re: Running Scans from ADNM
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 07:22:17 PM »
Hi Otte

In response to your question. You should have avast antivirus server edition installed on all your servers! simply scanning on-demand is not advisable.

If your servers where attacked by a network worm they would not be protected! your data could be corrupt, compromised and worse still nonrecoverable.

If you are concerned about performance issues due to antivirus being installed on the servers, there are many customisable actions that can be configured in the on-access scanner to exclude certain folders such as ACCESS database. Or you can configure to scan new or modified files on write and not read. If the performance is your concern i would suggest scanning new or modified files. This will limit the amount of processing and allow you to utilize the server better.

I do stress though antivirus should be installed on all your desktops and servers - and in an ideal world every file should be scanned, but as a compromise you could try the above.

I hope this helps and i`m happy to explain further.

av-outsource

otte

Re: Running Scans from ADNM
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 02:58:21 PM »
Hi

Some Background information - The servers I am talking about currently have Avast on them running the on-access scanner.  Recently we had a problem with Avast which meant that we could not logon to these servers until we had done a hard reboot on them.  These servers were in a remote location so it wasn't that easy to do.  The servers are also our live production servers that service clients 24/7.

After this is was asked whether we actually need AV on these servers as they are on a secure part of the network and are monitored by change control software so if any files are added/changed we would be notified.

As peace of mind I would still like to scan them on a regular basis without having Avast installed on the servers so was hoping to be able to setup a scheduled task on ADNM.

Otte