Author Topic: Manual dial for network with router  (Read 3581 times)

PCGirl

Manual dial for network with router
« on: February 18, 2004, 03:28:03 AM »
Hi,

I've got a router with print server and am getting really frustrated when the Avast dials up to check for updates every 4 hours.  :'(  I don't like the manual updating, as the kids don't remember and I can't be bothered running to each machine everyday.   :(

I've got the free home version, and just want a box to pop up on the main machine asking if the software can go looking for updates. The kids machines aren't used all the time, so when they are on, the updating doesn't make it dial up again (as they are on when I'm on). I don't use the interest that often (about once a week) and don't want the phone bill that I'm getting.  I don't want to turn off the auto update either.

Please, any suggestions would be helpful - I've been in the Avast.ini file and changed the RAS for dialup, but this mean that I've got to manually update... <sigh>

Love the program, but really need help with this one.  ???

Thanks.  :)

PS  Even a suggestion on how to get the Router to pop up the dialup when a direction comes from that machine would help. It's a D-Link DI-704P

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Manual dial for network with router
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 09:36:29 AM »
What is your avast! setting - on the "Update (Connections)" page?

PCGirl

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 12:54:32 AM »
In that setting, I've got the "I only connect to the internet using a dial-up modem."

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 03:52:16 AM »
I've got the free home version, and just want a box to pop up on the main machine asking if the software can go looking for updates. The kids machines aren't used all the time, so when they are on, the updating doesn't make it dial up again (as they are on when I'm on). I don't use the interest that often (about once a week) and don't want the phone bill that I'm getting.  I don't want to turn off the auto update either.

avast! never dials a connection... It just 'test' if there is a connection...
The phone bill are not caused by avast!

Please, any suggestions would be helpful - I've been in the Avast.ini file and changed the RAS for dialup, but this mean that I've got to manually update...

More information about the avast4.ini file you can see here

Hope this help in anyway...  8)
Wellcome to forums  ;D
The best things in life are free.