Author Topic: Resident Protection  (Read 16636 times)

rlm

Re:Resident Protection
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2003, 06:50:45 AM »
This may not apply to you because it specifically mentions Win XP not 98 (but it sure won't hurt to see if it does... :o ) It mentions hangups and resident or real time scanners. It sure sounds like your problem...

good luck  8)

rlm

" SYMPTOMS
You may experience slower computer performance after you install the 811493 (MS03-013) security update package on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), or after you upgrade to SP1 on a Windows XP-based computer on which the 811493 security update was previously installed. This problem may be more likely to occur if you use some features of some third-party programs, such as antivirus programs. For example, this problem may occur if your antivirus program is configured to scan all files when you open (or you run) them. This is sometimes called "real-time" scanning. "

Get full info here
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819634

pamaro

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2003, 10:16:07 PM »
Hmmm... from what I read there, it doesn't affect me, but thanks for the link anyway.

I'm guessing that something from the resident protection was left behind and is now interfering with everything... any way I can do a full uninstalation? (hmmm... this could be a FAQ question, I guess)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2003, 06:28:58 AM »
To complete uninstall of avast, just use Windows Installer applet from Control Panel. More? Use Total Uninstall (avast must be installed with this program running before). See  ftp://ftp.cuhk.edu.hk/.1/simtelnet/win95/install/tun220.zip.
Another option to complete uninstall is Norton CleanSweep.

I did not experience any trouble with avast. The residents could be configurated with help support of avast. Try to see another foruns (DOS under XP and Cannot run .exe files). If you could describe the applications installed in your system (and the system configuration) probably the avast team would be happy to help you. I´m a happy avast Home user (Free version) in a XP Pro computer.  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Amerk_5

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2003, 10:51:07 PM »
I use Total Uninstall (excellent little program) & the latest version is 2.33. Here's the program's DL page http://www.geocities.com/ggmartau/download/download.html