Author Topic: "Can't scan because file is password protected"  (Read 3933 times)

gail22

"Can't scan because file is password protected"
« on: April 26, 2007, 06:58:26 PM »
Hi all,

Whenever I run a scan, I get a long list of files that can't be scanned because they're password protected, but I don't understand this because a lot of the files are from Lavasoft's AdAware, which I don't ever remember passwording.

Also, a lot of files are in system folders and if they were passworded, Dell never told me about it.

In any case, if the files exist in the Windows\Temp\... folder, can they be safely removed to the vault or deleted or something?

Running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 with all critical updates, and the latest version of Avast (free edition).

Thank you for any information or advice.

Gail

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: "Can't scan because file is password protected"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 07:49:08 PM »
avast can't scan files that are password protected, it doesn't know the password.
There are many legitimate reasons why a file was password protected. For instance, the ones you're talking about. Lavasoft stores its data in a password-protected ZIP archives (to prevent other similar tools from messing up with them). It's really nothing to worry about - it's normal.

In AdAware and S&D, when you fix/remove things it keeps backup/recovery information so you can restore anything that was mistakenly fixed/removed, etc. After a reasonable time your system has suffered no adverse effects, you can get rid of the older recovery/backup points.

This should reduce the number of protected files.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 08:06:03 PM »
Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned. You can google the file names for more information if you feel further investigation is required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gail22

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:23:23 PM »
Hi, Tech, and DavidR,

Many thanks for your replies!  You both explained a lot I didn't understand. 

Appreciatively,
Gail

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 09:14:04 PM »
Your welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 03:13:03 AM »
You both explained a lot I didn't understand.
And now, do you understand or not? Do you need further help?
The best things in life are free.