Author Topic: avast 4.7 and outlook express  (Read 12580 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: avast 4.7 and outlook express
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 01:02:41 AM »
The something that has changed is not, I think, avast since this issue existed (and I tested it) 5 months ago. 

I just found this posting in broadband reports:

This is a copy/paste from sympatico's forum:

The Incoming Server (SMTP) Settings need to be as follows:
Server Name: pophm.sympatico.ca
Port: 995
Check "Use name and Password"
User Name: youremail@sympatico.ca
Use secure connection: TLS

The Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings need to be as follows:
Server Name: smtphm.sympatico.ca
Port: 25
Check "Use name and Password"
User Name: youremail@sympatico.ca
Use secure connection: TLS

Also, as Glen1 mentioned, turn off any email protection you may have in any anti-virus app you have, most email scanners won't work with ssl (encrypted) email. This will cause issues.

Also, I have heard smtphm port will use port 587 as well as port 25. Though i never tried it.

Yes, it is true that port 25 is the standard smtp port but there is no law that says an isp cannot choose to use it for secure SMTP and we also see it being done in the thread I linked. 

Are you using port 995 on the incoming (POP3) side for your account in OE? 

It may well be worth checking to see if mail is successfully delivered if the SMTP port is set for the account in OE to 587 which is now a well known port for secure mail sending (we have seen at least one other case in the forum where the secure SMTP traffic could be sent on port 25 or 587).

Remember that mail received or sent on a secure mail connection cannot be scanned by the Internet Mail scanner so you would be relying on scanning provided by the isp.  To scan on the receive and send side by the avast Internet Mail scanner would require the use of STunnel.  There will be no issues with it if port 587 can be used for sending your sympatico mail. 

The only complication that might arise would be a problem of multiple email accounts where one wanted to send standard SMTP on port 25 and another account wanted to send secure SMTP also on port 25.

[Edited] to correct port number typo error.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:32:15 AM by alanrf »

Mr. Greenie

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 04:26:14 AM »
Thanks alanrf, I did follow your advice from a earlier post in shutting down the outgoing mail scanner only and I am able to send now. I would have prefered not to customized any scanners but I do need my smtp working.

I did check my pop3 setting and it was at 110. I was receiving incoming mail at that port with no issues including avast's confirmation email when I registered for these forums. I did change it to 995 and made it ssl just in case.

I do like the avast av over the norton so I hope this will be the last of my troubles.

I am still curious why avast worked great for serveral months and all of a sudden started acting up last week? I would love to hear your thoughts of what went wrong.

Thanks all, your help was very much appreciated. Cheers!

Mr. Greenie

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 02:52:31 PM »
This is a follow up question. I followed another suggestion from one of the other avast forums and did a scan with ewido 4.0 and found a trojan in my sympatico program files called Trojan.NoClose.i
Could this have been the root of the problem? I would prefer to turn back on my outgoing mail scanner if possible. Thanks in advance once again!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 03:15:41 PM »
I don't think it was the cause of the problem, that is as Alan has explained avast not being able to scan secure email and not being able to handle the STARTTLS, or rather once seeing this let the email pass without scanning.

However, I would suggest that you confirm the detection is correct. What was the file name, where was it found example (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.
Or VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner

If it is indeed a false positive, add it to the exclusions lists (Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced and Program Settings, Exclusions) and check scan it periodically using the ashQuick scan (right click scan), when it is no longer detected then remove it from the exclusions.
Also see (Mini Sticky) False Positives
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mr. Greenie

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 03:40:35 PM »
Thanks DavidR, I was quick to delete the trojan so I do not know the exact path. It was something like c:/program files/sympatico/user/         
I do not remember the balance. It was ewido that found it along with some medium risk tracking cookies and not avast.

I appreciate your info with respect to jotti. I had not heard of that  one before, thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 03:45:06 PM »
In Ewido there is an icon, Infections, click that it should retain some information about it and give the ability to Restore or Finally delete, wait at least two weeks to do that, this ensures no harmful effect of the deletion, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mr. Greenie

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 08:58:28 PM »
Thanks, that is good advice. I guess that is a tip I'll have to remember next time. I had clicked remove infections with respect to the above mentioned trojan. Then I clicked ok to confirm removal.  :-[ Sympatico does have a good support network if it ends up being an important file. Cheers!

roadtrucker

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 02:24:18 AM »
thank you had to reformat harddrive and reinstall all
kept getting outbound error messages only thing that works is to turn off outbound mail scanner in avast  dont think it will hurt to not scan my own outbound mail

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 02:43:36 AM »
First I think you should have started a new topic for your problem rather than open on that is almost a year old, the email scanner has changed a number of times during that period.

I feel we should have been able to avoid a reformat and re=install, that really is a last resort.

Personally IMHO you would be ill advised not to scan your outbound email, I would go so far as to say set it to High sensitivity. This can provide early warning if you happen to have an undetected spambot trojan installed, multiple emails in a time period.