Author Topic: Avast hijacking taskbar icons  (Read 14795 times)

PD

Avast hijacking taskbar icons
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:25:20 AM »
I'm having a problem with Avast hijacking my taskbar icons and replacing them with the blue ball.  So far icons affected include the volume control, wireless network icon, and Omnipass (fingerprint reader).  I have the most recent release of Avast.  This is on a brand new laptop with WinXP Home.  Rebooting usually fixes the problem but it always returns, probably after putting the machine to sleep.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast hijacking taskbar icons
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
avast! doesn't hijack anything - it's most likely just Windows hiding some tray icons when they are "inactive", or something like that. Try to configure the taskbar to show them all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 02:08:08 PM »
Besides what Igor said, which avast version are you using?
Which other applications are running, because maybe any of them is 'crashing' explorer.exe process and then the icons could be removed from the system tray...
The best things in life are free.

GrahamE

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 01:20:33 AM »
I've had this problem quite a few times. The Avast ball replaces the Counterspy taskbar icon, and occasionally, the Counterspy icon gets it's own back by doing the same. When I move the cursor over the icons, the correct program info flashes up (i.e. while they both might be the blue ball, one says 'Avast! On-Access Scanner....' and the other says 'Counterspy is active'. Weird! Rebooting stops it, at least for a while.
I'm running XP Pro, Avast 4.7.986.

GrahamE

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 07:20:55 PM »
As an update to this, I've just updated to 1001 (why have I had to do this manually for the last two program updates, when I have it set to update the definitions and the program automatically??), and on reboot, the second blue ball has taken over the 'safely remove hardware' icon for some reason.

To be precise, I updated, rebooted, all ok. I then shut down the PC for a while. On starting up, a pop-up from Avast said that my licence (which expires next February) was invalid, and there was no blue ball. I then rebooted, and the two icons appeared. I have removed it for now by using the second ball to 'safely remove' my usb modem. On plugging it back in, I have the usual arrow thing. Whether the ball will return, only time will tell...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 07:33:19 PM »
4.7.1001 has only just been released (late Yesterday) and program updates are done over a 7 day cycle to balance server load, so if you were to leave it alone at some point in that cycle you would have been notified of a program update availability.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GrahamE

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 07:43:41 PM »
Oh, I see. I manually updated to 986 on Saturday, after noticing it on FileHippo. I guess the updates are coming so fast, the auto updates can't catch up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 07:47:20 PM »
I guess the updates are coming so fast, the auto updates can't catch up.
They can... but in seven days cycle as David said.
The autoupdate is working for VPS and for the program itself.

GrahamE

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 07:53:07 PM »
Ok, thank you. Any ideas on the iffy icons? As far as I'm aware, I don't have any problem with any of my other programs, as they are all active and running, and none of them are new to my system. I don't have the icons set to 'disappear' if inactive.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 07:55:35 PM »
Ok, thank you. Any ideas on the iffy icons? As far as I'm aware, I don't have any problem with any of my other programs, as they are all active and running, and none of them are new to my system. I don't have the icons set to 'disappear' if inactive.
Are the process running in background and only the icons are missed, or, on contrary, both the icons and the processes are gone. I mean, does avast prevent the other programs to load?

GrahamE

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 08:00:41 PM »
The processes are still running, but with an avast icon. As I said in my recent post about 1001, a second ball had replaced the 'remove hardware safely' icon. When I placed the cursor over it, it said "avast! on-Access...", like the proper ball does, but when I clicked on it, I was able to 'safely remove' my usb modem!
When it's taken over from the Counterspy icon in the past, it still says Counterspy when you place the cursor over it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 08:04:25 PM »
The processes are still running, but with an avast icon.
Won't the TweakUI repair icons help?

GrahamE

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 08:18:08 PM »
Sorry, :-[ where do I find that?

GrahamE

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 08:27:49 PM »
Sorry, forget last post. Downloaded it and run it. Time will tell I guess, Many thanks Tech.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
I experienced problems in Windows XP with the systray icons getting totally mixed up.  The system would show a particular icon in the systray but the mouseover would show the label of the program that should have been there.  In other words the wrong icon was being displayed.

I tried all the options I could think of at the time to no avail.  I did not think of the TweakUI option.  Instead I found on the Internet a method of completely clearing the systray icon cache from the registry and starting it all over again.  It worked.

I hope the TweakUI method is successful - please let us know.