Author Topic: Custom sensitivity & Firefox session saver interference problems  (Read 4906 times)

GrayFox

I have two problems, though solving the first problem could also take care of the second problem.

I don't seem to be able to set custom sensitivity for any of the resident providers. It just jumps back down to normal... and one of them jumps to high (though I don't know how I managed to make it do that). So how do I set custom sensitivity?

I'm thinking I need to exclude the folder where Firefox stores backed up sessions, since Avast! scans it just about every time I got to a new page... which slows down my crappy computer and makes Firefox freeze until it finishes scanning sessionstore-xxx.js (xxx standing for whatever file number... there are a bunch of them).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Custom sensitivity & Firefox session saver interference problems
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 02:35:23 AM »
You have to basically change something in the Customize.. (button) settings that basically changes the security/protection level, simply moving the slider to custom doesn't change anything, so it will revert to the original setting.

You don't mention which providers it is you are palying with, though I'm guessing standard shield and web shield ?

I use the Show my windows and tabs from last time option, is this what you are on about ?
I don't suffer any issues with this, though you don't say what your sensitivity on the standard shied is or what your cr***y system CPU, RAM, etc. is ?

You can exclude <path>sessionstore-*.js the * wildcard would take different file numbers, Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and enter the full <path> to the sessionstore-*.js
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GrayFox

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:49:38 AM »
You have to basically change something in the Customize.. (button) settings that basically changes the security/protection level, simply moving the slider to custom doesn't change anything, so it will revert to the original setting.

You don't mention which providers it is you are palying with, though I'm guessing standard shield and web shield ?

Yes, web shield and standard shield. And thanks for clearing up that stuff about the sensitivity... I couldn't figure out why it kept jumping back away from what I selected.

I use the Show my windows and tabs from last time option, is this what you are on about ?
I don't suffer any issues with this, though you don't say what your sensitivity on the standard shied is or what your cr***y system CPU, RAM, etc. is ?

You can exclude <path>sessionstore-*.js the * wildcard would take different file numbers, Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and enter the full <path> to the sessionstore-*.js

I don't use that option, but it saves backups of the session in case Firefox closes due to some sort of error.
And I'll post my system specs right here....
laptop: 1.2 or 1.3 ghz Pentium III, 512 mb RAM, 30GB hard drive, Windows XP
And I think my processor is 1.3 ghz underclocked to 1.2 ghz... but that's how it was when I got it (years ago) and I'm not too worried about it. The thing warms up enough as it is... I don't want to add 100mhz to heat it up even more.   :o
The sessionstore wildcard seems to have worked and it's not scanning every time I open a new page now.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 02:55:56 AM by GrayFox »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:32:09 AM »
Since Avast! scans it just about every time I got to a new page...
Which is this folder?
Maybe you can help me with browser speed, although I'm not so sure about the security of this option...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:05:19 PM »

I don't use that option, but it saves backups of the session in case Firefox closes due to some sort of error.
<snip>
The sessionstore wildcard seems to have worked and it's not scanning every time I open a new page now.

I don't know if the 'Show my windows and tabs from last time option' wouldn't do the same as what you are trying to achieve, I don't have any sessionstore-xxx.js files on my system, only one nsSessionStore.js file and that was last modified in February 24. I also like the History, Recently closed Tabs functionality, these two options for me meets my needs and no overhead of lots of .js files being created and accessed. As Tech mentions there is a risk in excluding files, using wildcards can increase that risk, though with a full path in this case I feel that risk is limited.

Your system should be more than up to the task, but if you have lots of other applications running then there will be a bit of sharing resources going on.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 03:10:50 PM »
Since Avast! scans it just about every time I got to a new page...
Which is this folder?
Maybe you can help me with browser speed, although I'm not so sure about the security of this option...

As far as I'm aware the browsing speed isn't the issue as it is the creation of a local file (created by firefox) to store session details/information that is being scanned by the standard shield. For every page accessed that .js session file will be updated and trigger another standard shield shield scan.

I too would be interested in where these sessionstore-xxx.js files are stored.