Author Topic: Upgrade pop up is not working properly  (Read 7190 times)

Karel

Upgrade pop up is not working properly
« on: April 28, 2007, 02:31:50 PM »
Hallo,

I'm a very happy user of Avast Home edition. I used it on Win 98, Win XP and recently I installed it on Vista Home Premium.
Three times on different new computers.
My problem is that the update pop ups of Avast are not interactif. They tell me that the bibliotheque is updated or that a update of the program is available and these pop ups invites me to click on the message to get more information or to get the update. None of the actions worked. Then I opened the program from the start button to get the update. Nope.

Can you give me assistance?

Karel

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Upgrade pop up is not working properly
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 07:27:21 PM »
Is there any firewall running in these computers?
In all of them, does the update behavior is exactly the same?
Which avast version are you using?
The best things in life are free.

Karel

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »
Thank you for your interesting reply, Tech.

I'm using the latest version of Avast 4.7.942. I downloaded it straight to a dvd before installing. That's a method that I use all the time, when downloading software from the net. Then I'm scanning it with several antivirusprograms. Once cleared, I will install it on the computers where required.
So the problem is new because with earlier versions of Avast I never met this one. The firewall installed is from Windows Defender delivered with Vista Home Premium and was allready installed on the computer when I buyed it from Medion. As the other computers are not connected directly to the internet they are getting there updates via the Medion. In the case of Avast, I uninstall the old version and install the latest one. So there is not the problem.

Regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 02:01:26 PM »
Well the latest version is 4.7.986 so it would be advisable to do a manual program update (in the same way as you did) before  any further attempts at finding a fault.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
On Vista, I will suggest that you uninstall the old version and try to install the latest one from the scratch, like David said. But I'm not sure that the popup will be interactive. Some features that work perfectly on Windows XP have difficulties to run well in Vista (update icon on system tray, for instance).

Karel

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 09:33:49 PM »
Right. That was what I was thinking allready before posing the question. So, in the mean time I uninstalled the 4.7.942 and installed the 4.7.986. Now I'm waiting for action from the program. Hopely I'm before my screen at the same time the next update pop up occurs. I keep you guys informed.
Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 09:43:49 PM »
Fingers crossed, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wayneleake

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 07:22:51 PM »
 I am also having a problem with the upgrade pop up.
 The flaming thing does not stay long enough for me to click on it.
 Partly due to mouse tending to stick, and mainly due to it not staying long enough.
 I am using Windows Vista Home Premium, and Avast version 4.7.942.
 I am using an Intel D865PERL motherboard with 1.5 Gigs of DDR ram and an Intel P IV 3.0 GHz CPU. Plenty of drive space.
 I rebooted 4 times today to try to click to get the upgrade to run, and this is getting me PO'd to say the least. :-X >:(
 You need to program the pop up tp stay at least 30 seconds or longer.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 07:36:57 PM »
The flaming thing does not stay long enough for me to click on it.
Try to set a bigger value for the item ShowTime in the section [AAVM] of the avast4.ini file and test.
I think the default is 4 seconds.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10270#msg10270

Erroneus

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 08:30:43 AM »
I'm having the same problem with build 1001 and Vista.

Program details:

avast! Antivirus
C:\Program Files\Awill Software\Avast4\setup\setup.ovr

And when i click "Show the message" i get a dialogbox which has avast Antivirus as title and with the question:
Do you want to restart Windows now? And two options, yes or no.

I'm gonna try to change avast4.ini and see if it helps.

*Update*

Then when I run a manual iAVS update, it says my DB is updated (which is correct), but then Avast wants me to restart... why? I got the latest 1001 build, but anyway I'm guessing the popup problem happens only for people who has a Avast, which needs a restart.

Gonna restart next time, can't now :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:35:45 AM by Erroneus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 01:57:18 PM »
Operating system restart needed by avast message - First check the contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file, which should show you why it thinks the reboot is needed.

This could be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt

Erroneus

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 09:52:09 AM »
So i tried to reboot like it wanted and I tried to delete the reboot.txt file, still no good! :(

This is getting quite annoying actually, every time it updates iavs, i get 3-4 popups with it needed to be restarted. I kill them and mins. after it happens again, HUGE PROBLEM.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 10:09:20 AM »
Erroneus,

please check out this post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28102.msg229764#msg229764
The reg fix should help.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Erroneus

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 11:40:45 AM »
I'm running Vista and I dont think I have disabled 8+3 file support....

*Update*

It was disabled, I guess som tweak program must have done it, thanks for the fix :)

Will there be an update of Avast to fix this problem, it's a pretty common tweak.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 11:42:54 AM by Erroneus »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 09:43:32 PM »
Will there be an update of Avast to fix this problem, it's a pretty common tweak.

A pretty stupid (useless) one if you ask me...
As I said in the other thread there's currently no plan to release another special build of avast because of this... so I expect you'll have to wait at least the regular 2-3 months (maybe more this time) for the next regular update...

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.