Author Topic: Avast! needs to be re-registered even though haven't used 12 months yet  (Read 13950 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast! needs to be re-registered even though haven't used 12 months yet
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2004, 01:38:09 PM »
Tell me, are those updates how nessesseraly?

Well, you can check this page to see what has changed. Sometimes, new features are added, and usually some reported bugs are fixed. For example, there should be another update during the next week - it will contain (quite a lot of) bugfixes.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2004, 02:47:33 PM »
B4349, asking for the key is strange... avast! is updated normally without asking for a new registration key.
I do recommend you update the program for your security. In a strange way, the information of the key is being 'lost' in your system.

Are you updating by the Internet or downloading a full new setup.exe file?
The best things in life are free.

offamychain

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2004, 09:11:32 PM »
 I got the same message last night. After a reboot, it's still doing it. Key simply isn't any good anymore. A reregistration did the trick. Just one of those strange unexplained thangs. ;D

B4349

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004, 10:40:11 AM »
B4349, asking for the key is strange... avast! is updated normally without asking for a new registration key.
I do recommend you update the program for your security. In a strange way, the information of the key is being 'lost' in your system.

Are you updating by the Internet or downloading a full new setup.exe file?

Of cource I'm updating by the Internet, like I've said many times earlier. I'm not so dummy that I allways download new setup.exe and then keep wondering why it allways asks registration. I could say that you are underestimating me..

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2004, 11:40:39 AM »
So it goes like this:

- you do a program update
- you reboot the machine
- after the computer starts, you're told that your key has expired?
- so you start avast and asks you for a key?

and if you enter the original key (the one that you posted earlier in this thread), it is not accepted?

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2004, 08:06:36 PM »
Of cource I'm updating by the Internet, like I've said many times earlier. I'm not so dummy that I allways download new setup.exe and then keep wondering why it allways asks registration. I could say that you are underestimating me..

Sorry, that was not my intention.  8)
Btw, when you update by a full setup.exe file the Registration Key is not asked either...

B4349

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2004, 12:37:11 PM »
So it goes like this:

- you do a program update
- you reboot the machine
- after the computer starts, you're told that your key has expired?
- so you start avast and asks you for a key?

and if you enter the original key (the one that you posted earlier in this thread), it is not accepted?

Well, as far as I can remember it goes like that. I'm not so sure does it ask registration before, or after reboot, but it says that you have to register Avast!, and there's an url to registration pages of Alwil.

Maybe I'll wait for the next update, and then mark up every detail of that registration stuff so I can give you better ansvers. Now I can't remember every detail so well, because this re-registration need has happebed only twice -both times I have autoinstalled new program version.

B4349

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2004, 03:08:46 PM »
Well, now that program update happend. And quess what, everything went fine. Needed to reboot, but no need to re-register. Weird, because in earlier cases re-registration has been needed. I'll have to observe the situation, if problem comes back I'll then return with my questions. Now I'm glad it worked just like it has ment to work.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2004, 04:45:51 PM »
Now I'm glad it worked just like it has ment to work.

We too  ;D