Author Topic: Context menu only show "Scan" and not the file name?  (Read 14107 times)

MoinMax

Re: Context menu only show "Scan" and not the file name?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Good thread... I just wish I didn't have to bookmark this for future use since there isn't a build-in option/easy to pull of/remember way to do it.

Hopefully it's working for Avast 5 too... enjoy this picture while I'll try it out:

EDIT) Here is how it is done:
Untick the Avast self-defense module in the settings (troubleshooting) [not sure if this is needed]
Start Windows in Safe Mode (Press F8 while booting).
Open and edit: C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast5.ini
Add the following line to the [UserInterface] section:
ShellExtensionFileName=0
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:14:03 AM by MoinMax »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »
What would you expect when you open a topic that is almost 3 years old.

Not to mention you are using a different version, 5.0 and not 4.7 to which this topic relates.

Since you have also posted something similar (the image at least) in the Wishlist topic, I guess you are done in this very old topic. If you have any other questions please create a new topic or it will just confuse what is effectively a redundant topic.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 03:51:11 PM »
I have just tried this and it does work.

You will find the avast5.ini in:

C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast5.ini

MoinMax

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 06:47:47 PM »
thx a bunch Scott!

Now I only gotta figure out how I can create or change that file in that directory, since it won't let me (although I do have admin rights).

spg SCOTT

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 07:04:07 PM »
You have to open it in notepad as the self protection module of avast protects it from modification...it will ask you when you save it.

MoinMax

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 07:35:27 PM »
When I try to save the edited file with notepad:

When I try to save it as a new file with different file name:

I do have admin rights, I did actually also try to change the folder permissions to have the currently logged in user taking "Full Control".
It still won't let me change...  ??? ??? ???

spg SCOTT

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 07:59:04 PM »
Ok, I have had this problem also...

Open avast --> settings --> troubleshooting --> un check 'enable self defense'

save the avast5.ini on the desktop, and open the folder it goes in through my computer and copy it in. That should work

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 08:14:12 PM »
This looks like the avast5.ini file is only being opened with read permissions (a self-defence module protection), something which happens when you use another text editor isn't meant to happen with notepad.exe.

It certainly doesn't happen with me editing avast5.ini using notepad.exe and XP Pro SP3, so I don't know if MoinMax is using Vista like you or win7 and if UAC might be getting in on the act. If it does and is running notepad as a limited user, I don't know if this might be an issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MoinMax

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 08:27:55 PM »
Still no permission to make any changes in that folder:

UAC is off (Vista). Avast Self-Protection has been turned off and the system has been rebooted.
Using the standard Notepad or Notepad++ doesn't make a difference.
Copying the edited file from the desktop into the directory brings us to the above screenshot, even when Windows Explorer has been started with Right-click 'Run as Administrator'.

Here a screen about permissions/security:

:-\
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:35:25 PM by MoinMax »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 08:31:57 PM »
IIRC (not at a pc at the moment) I got that error trying to copy when the self defense module was on...
Why not try logging in tithe admin account?

@David
Could be, but when I tested this setting earlier I ran into the same error as the first picture.
I haven't changed the way I do it, normally just opening and editing the ini files in avast...

MoinMax

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 05:53:33 AM »
It works in (Windows) Safe Mode.
Guess I'm somewhat happy...

PS: So this is how it feels to give birth to an elephant baby ::)

rogue420

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »
Sorry to bring up an old topic but the search that I did brought me here. I am running xp sp3 and am having the same exact problems. Can't save the revised avast5.ini notepad file. I am the administrator. I guess the one other issue that I'm having that could be effecting this is when I uncheck the "enable avast self-defense module", and click "ok" I'll go right back to troubleshooting and it will be checked again. Any words of wisdom? This computer takes forever to start up now!