Author Topic: avast home ed.  (Read 3517 times)

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
avast home ed.
« on: April 30, 2007, 04:49:25 AM »
if setup the home version(free)to run a scan at a certain time when im not at the pc is there a way to have it move infected files to the chest automatically?thanks bri

Offline ToM ™

• Avast team
Re: avast home ed.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 01:37:26 PM »
Check att. file

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 03:38:22 PM »
@ Bri
I assume you are using the ashQuick.exe work around for the Home version in which case I don't believe there is.

What ToM is suggesting won't work for a scheduled scan nor would I believe changing the standard shield settings to Silent Mode, with General answer = No.

With ashQuick it will always look for interactive input, on the first detection you can select continue and don't show next time, but it doesn't seem to have the desired effect to handle the detections at the end of the scan, see images. So it looks like no there isn't an option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 03:39:12 PM »
Bri, how do you 'setup' the Home version to run this scannings? At boot time or on-demand (while you're running Windows)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 05:34:02 AM »
i setup a scan to run once a week at 3:00 am through the scheduled tasks in windows with ashquick.exe,the reason i was askin is im usually sleeping and if it finds a virus then it will just sit there(pause scan)until i tell it what to do with the virus.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 02:46:13 PM »
Unfortunately what I have said is correct, the ashQuick.exe schedule scan work around isn't what it was designed for and you have to live with the limitations of this work around and ashQuick.exe, or convert to the Pro version.

Personally I don't see a use for the ashQuick scheduled scan work around for a number of reasons.

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.

With the different levels of protection of and the fall back of the Standard Shield, I find the need for daily or weekly scheduled scans lessened. I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks. That Scan is a Standard Scan without archives and it takes a little over 9 minutes, but I don't have a huge amount of data being scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security