Author Topic: Avast uninstall Vista Business x64  (Read 2729 times)

tompaten

Avast uninstall Vista Business x64
« on: April 30, 2007, 07:14:36 AM »
I have MS Vista Business x64 edition and had advast4.7. I can’t seem to get it to full uninstall. It removed all running avast processes, but Windows Security center seems to think its still installed. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall it + uninstalling it again but still no go. When I installed it a second time it kept giving the “install failed” popup window and wouldn’t continue installing (and uninstalling when I did that) until you press ok. It comes up about 4 to 5 times during a install or uninstall. I didn’t have these errors until I installed/uninstalled avast. Of course I’ve also tried the uninstall utility but it makes no change (writen to work on Vista x64?, fails to change anything even while running as admin). Any ideas on how this broke or how to fix it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast uninstall Vista Business x64
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:11:01 PM »
I can’t seem to get it to full uninstall. It removed all running avast processes
Remove? How? Using Control Panel > Add/Remove programs?

Of course I’ve also tried the uninstall utility but it makes no change (writen to work on Vista x64?, fails to change anything even while running as admin). Any ideas on how this broke or how to fix it?
It should work both on x32 or x64 systems...

Do you have any other antivirus installed in this computer?
Or even other security program?
Are you trying to install the last 4.7.896 version?
The best things in life are free.

tompaten

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
Remove? How? Using Control Panel > Add/Remove programs?
huh.. Yep

Anyone who has x64 editions of Windows and have been in the registry know its slightly different. Just wondering if the utility was made with this in mind.

Do you have any other antivirus installed in this computer?
Nope....

Or even other security program?
Nope....

Are you trying to install the last 4.7.896 version?
Tried and it works, just says it fails a few times even when it isn't.

As for the security center error, this little hack (incase anyone else gets this issue) resets the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation). In Vista, run cmd as admin otherwise do
Code: [Select]
net stop winmgmt
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt
It may take a little bit to rebuild the database. After that restart and you should be good to go.

The only issue I have now are the frequent errors with windows installer. Tried a few things so far but no success. I'll get back here if anything changes.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:14:43 PM »
Anyone who has x64 editions of Windows and have been in the registry know its slightly different. Just wondering if the utility was made with this in mind.
Hope Alwil team correct me if I'm wrong... Indeed, I never used a x64 system.
The best things in life are free.