Author Topic: avast 4.7.997 - what's next?  (Read 11566 times)

Rick F

Re: avast 4.7.997 - what's next?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 08:10:45 PM »
A programmer once told me that if you 'send a report to Microsoft' (after an error) that your mem-dump is deleted. I've never been able to verify this -- and in fact -- doesn't make sense to me.  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 08:15:54 PM »
A programmer once told me that if you 'send a report to Microsoft' (after an error) that your mem-dump is deleted. I've never been able to verify this -- and in fact -- doesn't make sense to me.  ???
I never send any file dump to Microsoft... for what? Do they give me support when I need it? I've payed for Windows and Office, and what? When I need, nothing, caput, zero... support. I hate this kind of costumer relationship. I hate lack of support.
I'll try to find any *.dmp file now...
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 08:24:12 PM »
The dumps submitted to Microsoft are processed by a sophisticated automated system, the faulting module is (attempted to be) detected, and if there is a higher count of identical problems, the related module vendor is notified about it (that's what Vlk told me some time ago, at least.)
So, it actually might be useful sometimes (but I have no idea if the dump is deleted or not during the submission).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 02:54:39 AM »
The dumps submitted to Microsoft are processed by a sophisticated automated system, the faulting module is (attempted to be) detected, and if there is a higher count of identical problems, the related module vendor is notified about it (that's what Vlk told me some time ago, at least.)
I believe in Vlk.
I don't believe (all the times) on Microsoft.
Anyway, no dump file to send to Vlk, strange...
The best things in life are free.